Go down
Admin
View user profilehttp://ccyg.forumotion.com

November 18th to 24th (Recommended Passage: 1 Peter 2:1-10)

on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:37 pm
Hey guys just a reminder that we won't have a leader's meeting next week - thanksgiving service at the main chapel next week.
-Also a reminder that we'll be starting at 9am on sundays from now on, breakfast will be provided!

Please share at least one devotional on the readings that are provided for that week - this week will consist of chapters 60 and 65.

1. Pray. Ask God to reveal Himself onto you through Scripture. Ask God to give you an appetite for his Word (Just like how we always pray before we eat - you are essentially praying before you eat spiritually
2. Read maybe 2-3 times
3. Interpret the passage, see what verses, terms, and key phrases stick out to you.
4. See how you can apply the passage - knowledge is amazing, and to know God is essentially our focus. Even better if you can find ways to apply it.
5. Share your prayer requests. Seriously. Everyone is able to read what you flesh out and we are a Church that will pray on your behalf - also an opportunity for you to pray for others as well.
-You can always share praise songs that has spoken to you as well, maybe throughout your devotional/quiet time.
6. Pray to end off your devo, trust God that He is working through this initiative.

Recommended Passage is 1 Peter 2:1-10 for those that would like one.
View user profile

Re: November 18th to 24th (Recommended Passage: 1 Peter 2:1-10)

on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:03 pm
Especially for me, chapter 60 from Leadership Axioms really hits home. The concept of paying first and putting in the work first before hanging out and playing around is so important.

I've always had a leadership style that combines play and work together. But especially through last week's meeting, I'm not too sure if it is sustainable in the long run. I think my grades are currently taking a beating that wouldn't be so pretty in the long run. Overall, when the new year hits, I'd want to implement a much more serious mood when it is time to be serious, and to keep up with a goofy attitude when the times are appropriate to be goofy. But when crunch time hits, much like any exam season, it must be met with an attitude that is willing to bite the bullet, setting aside the temptations to do anything else but to study effectively. I find that this is a much more greater principle than just addressing how to spend time wisely and productively, but I feel as if this 'axiom' is a teaching that really demands us to reflect on the state of our hearts.

Do I really prioritize the work that God is bringing into my life? And if so, why does it seem as if I try to avoid every possible opportunity to do work? And why do I leave work to the last minute? I fall into the category of procrastination like no other, and to be honest some of the sermons that I share are written from 3-6am... This is clearly not sustainable and even though I can say that I'm passionate for the Scriptures, passion won't get me anywhere when the discipline doesn't follow. I'm still discovering how to spend my time wisely, in and out of weekends and spending time at church. I'm in need of accountability and for you guys to sometimes gently suggest that it's time for me to go home, haha. I love spending time with you guys, but I think that there ought to be wisdom in doing so. And if I also do love you guys, I should be learning that it's also very important that we get the rest that we need and to sometimes do what's responsible.

Please pray for me in terms of knowing how to spend my time wisely and effectively. And that isn't just for me to stop being distracted, but pray that God can reveal my heart to me. And in response, for me to reflect on the state of my heart and in knowing what's at stake.
Especially with the retreat coming up, all of the logistical things have to follow through and it does myself and other leaders no good by providing things last minute.

Listened to this song again for today's devo... it just provides so much energy haha
View user profile

on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:23 pm
"Wherever you see something going well - whenever light begins to chase back the darkness that threatens to engulf our world, look closely. There stands a leader who is holding that candle."

Chapter 65 features the understanding that we are called to lead with absolute diligence. This reminds me of Malachi 1 as it addresses the sacrifices that the Israelites offered. They offered sloppy seconds to God, providing animals that were sick/lame that obviously weren't of much quality. Verses 7-8 share,

“But you ask, ‘How have we defiled you?’
“By saying that the Lord’s table is contemptible. When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?” says the Lord Almighty.

I know that the book addresses moreso that it is the leaders who hold the internal structure of the church/community, but I think the book lacks the understanding that God hates our sloppy seconds, with a great passion. When we offer God a sacrifice when it is only convenient for us - was it really a sacrifice to begin with? As we do alot of 'things' for God, we must be reminded that we should offer God our best efforts. That we should take serving very seriously. I was really convicted by this chapter because i know that I can provide God more of my heart. That He isn't looking for greater performance from us, but He demands all of our hearts and our minds in order that we can delight in Him. These days, I know that I can offer God so much more of my heart and if we are looking to serve our youth group, we have to start by looking within our hearts first. This chapter was a really good heart check and I'm not too sure about you guys, but I'm in need of a major heart surgery for God to reveal the deepest idols of my heart to me.

I'm finding it really easy to be satisfied with everything these days, satisfied with schoolwork, satisfied with sermon prep, satisfied with my current relationships, etc, etc. Pray that I can lose the mentality/attitude and for God to show me that I can actually offer much more of my heart. Pray that the Holy Spirit's work can be done through me... and that He may empower me to carry out God's will.

"I need to just admit that my faith is paper thin."

View user profile

on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:41 pm
Leadership Axioms   Chapter 60: Pay Now, Play Later

Summary: This is a pretty short and simple chapter that has a lot of meaning behind it. Basically, Hybels talks about opportunity cost and how you must pay before you play. He starts with a metaphor of a constructor needing to lay down the foundation before he puts in the steel soars and windows. When Hybels starts his days, there are plenty of things that can distract him and they are not bad. For example, catching up with a coworker or having fellowship. However, everyone has those couple of tasks that they need to complete and after doing or “paying”, then they can play.

Application: I felt like this chapter directly correlated to doing our devotionals. There are times where I don’t feel like doing my devotional but I always ask God to help me through it and take away a lesson. I found it interesting when Hybels talked about how the “play” will be so much sweeter when we have prayed. I couldn’t agree with it more! One example of this is when I play poker with real money. Yea it sucks when you lose money but it is exponentially better when you win real money. I feel so much better when I do devotionals early in the week because I don’t have to stress about not complete all of them. It's not the reason why I do these devotionals, but it helps to have a deadline so I don’t slack off and fall behind.

Prayer Requests:
Update on Justin and John: Their mother passed away two days ago. Please pray for their family as they are going through a very rough time.
I thank God as I’m not struggling with anything major, and life is good. I feel good and I don’t feel burnt out like how I did my entire senior year.
Please pray for Winter retreat and the

Song of the Day:
“Death, where is your sting?
Your power is as dead as my sin
The cross has taught me to live
In mercy, my heart now to sing

I'd be lost
I'd be lost
I'd be lost without you
But now I'm found singing Your praise
I'd be lost
I'd be lost
I'd be lost without you
Jesus”

View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:13 am
Today was a day of Thanksgiving and had me reflect on the things that I was thankful for. Therefore I read a few verses on thanksgiving such as Phillippians 4:6-7 which says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." This one spoke to me because a lot of the struggles I tend to have are to be so anxious about any things. I have become so anxious on my future in many ways such as my job, struggles financially, relationships, family, friends and church. I spend so much time worrying for these things that I take a lot of it for granted. This verse really tells me that I should really pray and trust in God and give thanksgiving for all that he has done and has planned for me.

Prayer Requests:
-To rejoice and to be thankful for all that God has done for me
-To be more on top of these devotionals, I slowed down a lot on doing these
-Personal struggles in jealousy, anxiety and lust
- School, Work, Church, Friends, Family, Relationships
View user profile

on Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:01 am
Leadership Axioms Chapter 60 - Pay Now, Play Later

For my devotional Today, I’ll focusing on Leadership Axioms book chapter 60 which talks about paying it now and playing later. As leaders in CCYG we all at one point struggled with this temptation of wanted to do what we want over what is right and important. I definitely struggled and still struggle with this especially when I’m feeling drained or tried. But in moments of tiredness as leaders we need to break that wall and fight through it to get the job done. One example of this is doing our daily devotionals throughout the week away from church. I know doing devotionals is hard and I hundred percent struggle in keeping up with them too. But as leaders we need to fight through it because to serve others we need to feed ourselves with the word of God. John 6:35 says “Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” With the nourishment of the word we’ll never be hungry and we’ll never be thirsty, through this we are able serve others fully. Yes, its going to be hard to keep up with your devotionals and it’s not suppose to be easy, if being follower of God was easy everyone would be saved. But through the faith you’ll be fed and saved by our lord and savior. I challenge everyone to try to get your devotional done before tempting to do any of your homework. Yes, school is important but God is the foundation and without him you’ll break. Pay it now and play later and I promise once you get the work done the play will be much sweeter.

Prayer Request

- To really dig deep in our devotions not to get them done because we have too but to be able to grow was followers of Christ
- For my health, my ankle has been really stiff and hurting from time to time
View user profile

on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 am
Today I read John chapters 5 and 6 and something that really has hit me hard is one of the passages that came out in these chapters. John chapter 6:25-27 which says, "When they found him on the other side of the sea, they said to him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?” Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. For on him God the Father has set his seal.” I thought this especially has affected me was because my relationship with God has been recently not the greatest due to some personal worldly struggles. There has been something in my heart for a while now and it has been really affecting the way I feel and act. A lot of the times I pray about this worldly desire where I ask God for my personal benefit instead of seeking what he wants for me. John chapter 6: 35 says, "Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." This passage seems to hold a lot of promise and no matter how hard I try to believe in it, I find myself doubting it so much. Just moving on has felt so empty and makes me feel as if there is nothing else in this world for me. So my prayer request is that I can learn to really pray for what I should do and that God can lead me to the right path as I try to deal with this struggle and desire in my heart.

Prayer Requests:
- To be stronger in faith, rely on God and never doubt him
- Nursing applications are coming up and honestly I am terrified, that whatever happens, I can really follow the path that God wants me to go, even though I fail I will rejoice for he has a promise for me
- Retreat is in a month, Prayer for the students and leaders, that the students may go to retreat with a fire for God, that we may "retreat" from the world to really be with God instead of using it as an emotional or spiritual high but to go in a way of celebration for his love to learn more about it. For the leaders that we will go with just a serving desire for God that he may use us so that we may teach and learn with the students. That we will stay strong in our faith and fight the good fight
- School, Work, Church, Family, Friends, Relationships
View user profile

on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:32 pm
Leadership Axioms Ch. 65

I decided to do my devotional on chapter 65, because I’ve been doubting lots of things lately. Many times in my life I felt there was no one to lead me out of the darkness, especially at my last church. I was the oldest one there, so I didn’t really have anyone older to talk to about my faith or my problems. I didn’t feel comfortable talking to the adults about things that I had on my mind. It was hard for me too since lot of the younger kids relied and looked up to me. In the beginning though, it was all good. Everything was fun, a few kids around my age came, and everything seemed to be amazing. Then, lots of people started leaving, especially the older kids, and I felt alone once again. If I made one mistake at that church, I felt as if all the parents would be disappointed in me. I tried so hard to be perfect. But one day, one of the children ministry leaders approached me and took me out of the darkness. We talked a lot and I was able to tell her everything. I’ve learned so much from her and she gave me hope. She was that leader who was holding the candle for me. Today, I still talk to her and whenever I see her I become so happy. I realized that I wanted to be like that. I want to be the leader who’s holding the candle in the darkness, whether it be at school or church or even for my brother. I really enjoyed this chapter, because it reminded me of this part of my life. I thank God for sending this leader to my life, and I hope He uses me just like he used her. In mysterious ways, He’s working in our lives and I love that so much.

Prayer requests:

-pray that I stop doubting about my future and trust more in God
-I tend to worry too much and focus more on the materialistic and American dream things in life
-pray that I can be a diligent leader and help ignite hope while I’m on the leadership team
-help me to have a more positive outlook on life even when things get tough at school or home

Song:

Came to my Rescue
I called you answered
And you came to my rescue and I
I wanna be where you are

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

Parable of the Talents

on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:43 pm
Matthew 25: 14-30
Parable of the Talents

This parable is the final parable that Jesus tells before he is crucified. In the previous parables, Jesus tells his followers the benefits of pursuing him, but in this parable, he is telling them how they should live out their lives once Jesus leaves the Earth. In this parable, there is a wealthy owner who gives his servants bags of talents so that they can make a profit. The first servant is given 5 talents, the second is given 2 talents, and the third is given 1 talent. The first servant ends up gaining 5 more talents, and the second servant ends up gaining 2 more talents. When they bring back the talents to their owner, the owner is proud of them and gives them many rewards. However the third servant ends up making zero profit because he dug his one talent in the ground, and when the master finds out, he puts this servant to shame. I think the application of this parable is that we Christians need to work hard for the kingdom of heaven. A talent is worth a ton of money, so just like how the master entrusted his servants with a lot of money, God entrusts us with huge responsibilities to spread his Kingdom. Even though God entrusts some of us with bigger responsibilities and some of us with smaller responsibilities, he still expects us to be faithful servants. After the first and second servants return their profits to the master, notice how the master said the exact same thing, word for word, to his two servants. This shows that Jesus is not looking for results. He doesn't care whether we make 5 talents or 2 talents, he just cares that we are faithful and do our best to spread the word of God. He just doesn't want us to be like the third servant who makes no effort to please his master and then just makes excuses for why he didn't follow orders. This will result in God denouncing us and shunning us from Him.

Prayers:
-pray that I can be like the first two servants who do their best to glorify God
-pray that when I go through struggles that I won't become angry at God, but that instead I can accept it as part of His plan.
-pray that my Confirmation tomorrow will be a life changing experience for me

Song/Lyrics:
Living Hope - Phil Wickham
Hallelujah, praise the One who set me free
Hallelujah, death has lost its grip on me
You have broken every chain
There's salvation in Your name
Jesus Christ, my living hope
View user profile

on Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:31 pm
Axioms 60

In Axioms Bill is telling the reader that in order to have your fun you have to first work for it. You have to work and get things on your list all done before you can go off and be wild. There will be many temptations and ways for you to get out of the work but Bill says that when you sit down and do your work you have to put your whole mind to it. I’m repeating a lot and it’s talking about his experience in this situation, where he has all these opportunities to go and have fun to ditch work but he gives himself a pep talk and tells himself he can do it and once he finishes he will feel so accomplished and free to do whatever he wants after.

Prayer requests:
Please pray for me to work on my tasks and to not give up and ignore them so easily. And for school for me to focus and get better grades and achieve my goals

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:22 am
1John 4 : 7 - 21

I have always wondered why people "love" each other. Is it because the people they love benefits that person or because it is that person's obligation. Then I asked myself why I love other people, and that was a difficult question to answer. In Jonh 4: 7-21, it says that we should love others for that love comes form God, then says if we dont love, then we can not claim that we know God because God is love. God loved us so much that he was willing to send down his only son with pleasure. We do not benefit God at all, and he has no reason to love us, but he does anyways. So he was willing to send down his only son to die for us. Abd because of that love we should should love others as he did for us. Then it goes on saying in verse 12, that through our love for others God will live in us and his love is made complete within us. Then verse 16 says that we are able to rely on Gods love and that whoever lives in love live in God and God in them. Verse 18 talks about how no one is cable able of fearing love because love itself drives fear away. But through all this I think verse 20 and 21 is one of the most important verses in this passage. It emphasises that if we claim to know God and have the smallest but of hate in our heart that person is considered a LIAR. Because whoever doesn't love their brothers or sisters they are incapable of loving God himself. And finally left us with theists command " Anyone who loves God must also love their brothers and sisters." Through this passage I am able to make my reason clear to why I love others. I struggle constantly to consistantly love everyone I see. There are those who break me apart, and those who also build me up, but my reason for loving them may not be the correct one. I was able to learn why I should love other people and I was always trh to love everyone through this.

Prayer Requests:
1. Pray for the health of my family
2. To help my family as much as I can and to love love them no matter what happens
3. To be able to love everyone and to fully forgive others
4. To live for the eyes of God not for the eyes of others

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:50 am
Today I read leadership axioms chapter 60 and 65, 60 tells us of how we should get our work done first and play later. I feel like this applies to some of the aspects and traditions we have at our church. A lot of the times we put the play before we pay, instead of wanting to do bible study or learn more about God we instead wanna hangout with friends or play basketball. But as this chapter indicates the play is so much more worth it with the bonding with brothers and sisters after we bonded with them through Jesus. 65 tells us of how leadership should be diligent, it speaks of how one leader steps up to bring a church into a situation of being well. However, some things that I went through today made me learn is that we leaders need to be diligent for a church to be on fire, that if we have problems the church will have their problems too. As leaders we should learn to work well together through problems and hardships because it will help us grow from these bad situations.

Prayer Requests:
- Retreat in general, students who are unsure if they want to come, students who are coming that God will lead them with the right heart, Leaders that we may stay strong in our faith, try to fight all the hardships and problems that may follow
- School, Work, Relationships, Church, Family, Friends
View user profile

on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:12 am
Leadership Axioms   Chapter 65: Lead with All Diligence

Summary: Hybel starts the chapter with an analogy of someone on a plane looking the window to the night sky. The person staring out into the vast black emptiness suddenly sees a little cluster of light and thinks to themselves, “I guess there is life down there after all”. Hybels uses this little story to represent what it's sometimes like as a Christian looking at the world. However, he says there is a lot of hope in the world. You can find light in your families, local churches, and many more places and things. He reels us back into context of leadership by saying that wherever there is light, look carefully because there is a leader who is holding that candle. Hybels shares his own experience in Willow Creek and says that whenever there was something going really well, then it would only take a few questions to figure out which leader is behind the good doing. He goes on further to say, “Likewise, find something that is in disarray around Willow, and you’ll probably learn that there's a leadership crisis at the center of that difficulty” (Hybels 191). He ends the chapter by referring to Romans 12:8 and saying that all progress hinges on dilignet leaders, which is God’s preferred method of transforming the world.

Application: Diligence: careful and persistent work or effort. The word persistent sticks out to me because it takes commitment and consistency to be persistent. To be persistent, you need to have a stronger reason of doing it other than for personal gains. Leaders who seek fame and glory aren’t very persistent because as soon as those go away, they lose all motivation. The part where Hybels talked about when there is a problem, there is always a leader who is behind it, really hit me hard. We recently had a meeting about winter retreat. I won’t get into the details much but that situations was started by a leader in the church, and the whole situation could have been avoided if we all were diligent about it. The more I read this book, the more I realize that the leadership team and worship team can make or break this youth group. I’m not saying that we are anything special, far from it. But the change that we are looking for has to start with us. We can’t wait on other people to do what we want.

Prayer Requests:
Please pray with the Winter Retreat as there are still a good number of things to smooth out
Please pray for me as my knee heals and I look towards the next chapter in my life
Please pray for the devotionals as it seems like for the majority of us, it's getting harder and harder to do every week, including myself.

Song of the Day:
“This life is Yours and hope is rising
As Your glory floods our hearts
Let love tear down these walls
That all creation would
Come back to You
It's all for You
Your name is glorious, glorious
Your love is changing us, calling us
To worship in spirit and in truth
As all creation returns to You”

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum