Go down
Admin
View user profilehttp://ccyg.forumotion.com

November 11th to 17th (Recommended Passage: 2 Corinthians 4)

on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 am
Hey guys, lets keep moving forward with this week's devos - please seriously take the time to sincerely share your prayer requests and struggles. Also take the initiative in reading other people's devos and praying on behalf of them.

1. Pray. Ask God to reveal Himself onto you through Scripture. Ask God to give you an appetite for his Word (Just like how we always pray before we eat - you are essentially praying before you eat spiritually
2. Read maybe 2-3 times
3. Interpret the passage, see what verses, terms, and key phrases stick out to you.
4. See how you can apply the passage - knowledge is amazing, and to know God is essentially our focus. Even better if you can find ways to apply it.
5. Share your prayer requests. Seriously. Everyone is able to read what you flesh out and we are a Church that will pray on your behalf - also an opportunity for you to pray for others as well.
-You can always share praise songs that has spoken to you as well, maybe throughout your devotional/quiet time.
6. Pray to end off your devo, trust God that He is working through this initiative.

Recommended Passage is 2 Corinthians 4 for those that would like one.

Please read through chapter 3 and 49 from Leadership Axioms for this week's sunday service!
View user profile

Re: November 11th to 17th (Recommended Passage: 2 Corinthians 4)

on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:46 pm
2 Corinthians 4 really addresses the 'What now? question that arises when we think about the Gospel.

Verse one starts off with the fact that we do not lose heart. We don't abandon our new identity in light of the Gospel, rather we must affirm it daily, understanding that we are now new creations in Christ. On the other hand, we must renounce our former ways and the ways in which we used to live. Why? Because we found something better. Verses 3 and 4 share that the gospel is veiled. It is a hidden mystery, and people consider it as foolishness or they might say they understand the gospel - but water it down to the point where it has no sustenance. And in light of this veiled, hidden mystery, it has been revealed to us. Not only this, we are now living representatives of this very gospel, that we hold the treasured truth in ourselves, as we're compared to jars of clay in verse 7.

Jars of clay have no importance or significance in amongst themselves. Yet it was what they had contained which gave them their significance. Just like how a pizza box is just a box, it becomes more than a box to the person that is salivating at the anticipation of the first delicious bite from Lou's pizza. Sure it is a box, but what it holds is what gives it meaning. Much like ourselves, we have no significance in our very own person. But we have been redeemed and are now God's ambassadors. And in light of this, though we may undergo the toughest trials and tribulations, it is God who holds us firm.

Verse 16 is a reiteration of verse 1. Paul makes this very clear, almost to the point where it may seem redundant. We don't lose heart. We are being renewed day by day. When I thought about this, I asked myself, "How have I been renewed today? Do I just continue to live my life daily and live to the point of death? Or am I seeking the things above, in which God is delighted in and am I abandoning the things on earth, the things that prevent me from praising and glorifying God in the fullness of His glory?" We look to the things that are unseen. We look towards the things that are transient, the things that are eternal.

The conclusion to chapter four encourages us that we shouldn't feel encouragement or discouraged whenever we look at the things that can 'be seen'. And ultimately, we ought to fix our eyes upon Christ, who is unseen. Who can't necessarily be physically felt or seen in our day and age. But we look towards Him because He is continuously pruning us - a process that sometimes we aren't able to observe on a daily scale. But we have to look back to our spiritual lives, look at how things were before and to see how much has changed through God's faithfulness. God's inward change in us can be incredibly slow. It can be tirelessly confusing. It can seem as if we ought to just give up.

But we don't lose heart. The Gospel is not just a one and done transaction, but it is the continuous growth within us that is transforming our very own character. And as we continue to examine our character and our identity as jars of clay, we should be encouraged and giving all the more praise and glory to God in light of the grace that we've been given.

Felt that this passage is very fitting for our time now in CCYG. We're starting to be pruned even further, as we continue to renew our minds in the Gospel.

Please pray for our youth group that we don't lose heart. That we don't lose heart in God's faithfulness. That we don't slow down our efforts to become more and more like Christ.
-Please pray for my character flaws to be revealed to me. I want God to reveal my idols and the things that I put before Him in order that I know what to set aside. In order that I can know what slows me down in my walk with God.
View user profile

on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:44 am
Proverbs 11
This is something that I came upon, and really relates to me. It talks a lot about boastfulness. As many of you guys may know, I play instruments where I think are fun to play and really try my best to find the best techniques and wanting to basically show off at times. Going with the flow, playing out, and sometimes even trying to make myself sound better than I know I should really hits me at times even while practicing. Proverbs 11 verses 2-3 says, "Proud and boastful people will be shamed, but wisdom stays with those who are modest and humble. Good people are guided by their honesty, but crooks who lie and cheat will ruin themselves." As I read this, it really stood out to me especially verse because in the beginning of it, it says "Proud and boastful people will be shamed." On many times in my past, I thought I was the best, or close to the best. I thought I could achieve anything that came in my way and practiced on a daily basis. As time went on, I realized that, I should not be striving for that because perfection is impossible to have. No one is close to being perfect on this earth except for Jesus. My senior year, I went into an audition for IMEA and got in. It wasn't until my teacher brought me aside and told me I made state. That shook me and made me think, "Wow, I'm actually really good." But in reality I had little to do with it but it was God who gave me a musical gift. He gave me the endurance and patience to continuously practice.
Jumping into everything, I realized just that I was extremely proud of what I accomplished. Thinking that I was the best and highest player to come about. However, I knew deep down inside I wasn't and that was what God was really trying to tell me. I shouldn't be playing for myself, but for God. I should be giving him all the praise and recollection because without him, I am nothing and none of this would have been possible. He brought me back and put me in one of the furthest away from the front at state. I realized then that I had to make a change in perception with what I was doing. That I had to make a change on how I acted upon my actions in music. As now, I take pride in my musical abilities because it was God who gave me this gift. It was Him who gave me the endurance and patience to continuously practice. Without him, there was no way of me making it that far and into the musician I am right now. Even through all my pride in the past, He still uses me in a way I didn't expect myself to be in 3 years ago.
Prayer Request
- Guidance, I'm still not sure what I am doing so I want to make the right decisions throughout what I am doing.
- Patience, nothing comes easy. I just want to have the patience to let God speak to me throughout everything I do on a daily basis.
- Health, I've been a little sick lately and want to be the healthiest I can be around others.
View user profile

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:50 pm
Did my devo on the classic passage of Habakkuk 3:16-19.

"I heard and my heart pounded, my lips quivered at the sound; decay crept into my bones, and my legs trembled. Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity to come on the nation invading us.
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights."

In light of the prophesy that the Babylonians would invade Judah, Habakkuk boldly responds in the midst of the fear of that very danger. But I find that he fears God that much more, in knowing His goodness and providence even in the midst of all the chaos to come. The prophet Habakkuk shows a very descriptive, physical response that he has in light of what was to come. Verses 17 expresses that even though everything might go to crap and the most extreme of circumstances occur, he insists on praising God and rejoicing in His saviour.

Not to say that my circumstances would be as objectively bad as Habakkuk's, but I think that there is something to be learned in the midst of his prayer. Even though chaos might come, I think what God wants me to focus on is His character. On the other hand, things could be going perfectly - and I think that we should look towards the Giver rather than the gifts itself. Being here in Chicagoland really has been an adventure for me, in that I got to meet new people and adjust to a new lifestyle, while putting off what I had back home aside. Right now, I'm absolutely grateful and immensely thankful for the people that God has led me to, especially and particularly you guys.

But God is not worthy of our praise exclusively from what He can DO for us (though understanding how God provides is an integral part of His providence), but it is in Him in which we are to praise. Do I fear the circumstances and delight in what goes on in my life? Or do I share in simply enjoying God, for who He actually is? In baptism/confirmation class, we're learning that the 'chief end of man' is to enjoy God and to glorify Him forever. Through this passage/devo, I asked myself, "What aspect of God do I really enjoy? Do I praise God because He just showers me with good stuff? Or am I preoccupied with knowing Him and to be satisfied in simply just my knowledge of Him?"

Jeremiah 9:23-24 shares,

"This is what the Lord says: “Let not the wise boast of their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this:
   that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord."

Do I truly know God? And if so, can I find myself 'boasting' in the riches of His love? Something to think about as we head into a season of thanksgiving.

Listened to this song while typing out my devo
View user profile

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:05 pm
Matthew 25:1-13 The parable of the Ten Virigins

Summary: Jesus tells another parable comparing the kingdom of heaven and ten virgins. Half of them were foolish and the other half were wise. They were all going out to meet a bridegroom. The wise took oil with them for their lamp and the foolish did not. They wait around for a long time until they fall asleep. Then at midnight, they hear the cry that the bridegroom is coming. The foolish, having no oil are told that they need to go and buy oil for their lamp. The wise, who have oil, are there when the bridegroom arrives and go to the wedding banquet. The foolish virgins, after having bought their oil, are shut out from the wedding. They beg, “Lord, Lord, open the door for us!” but He responds, “Truly I tell you, I don’t know you”. The passage ends with Jesus saying to keep watch because we don't know the day or hour.

Application: This a very simple passage but it extends from the passage before in chapter 24. Jesus warns us to be ready for the end because we don’t know when that will happen. Life is so incredibly short and we don’t realize it until we look back on it. We should make the most of the time that we have here on Earth. Death wasn’t something I was personally familiar with until recently. I didn’t have any of my close family members or people I knew personally know to die until today. I saw Justin and John’s mom in the hospital. She is currently taking treatment for leukemia and the odds don’t seem like it’s in her favor. I met the dad today and it broke my heart when he was explaining everything. I just can’t imagine building a family with someone and having kids to go on to lose them. The big take away from this passage and what I went through today is that life is too short. It's too short to be lazy and lay around, as much I love to do that. It’s too short to do what really matters in life.

Prayer Requests:
Please pray for Justin and John’s mother. She is currently in the hospital with Leukemia
Please pray for Sam (Justin and John’s dad) as he is trying to juggle work, the boys, and going to the hospital to spend as much time with his wife
Please pray for the winter retreat, that God may work through us

Song of the Day:
“I am blessed, I am called
I am healed, I am whole
I am saved in Jesus' name”

View user profile

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 pm
Proverbs 23
This passage emphasizes that we condition our hearts, ears, and lips to feel, speak, and listen to God's holiness through the chaos and evil of the world. Verse 12 commands us to apply our hearts to instruction and our ears to words of knowledge, and verse 15 says that God rejoices when our hearts are wise and our lips speak what is right. While this sounds simple, this is not an easy feat. With all of the distractions and worldly influences surrounding us, our minds and hearts tend to sway towards these rather than towards God. For example, when people surrounding you normalize the use of swearing, it's easy to bend to and adapt this habit after having been exposed to it for a long period of time. Because of this, it seems nearly impossible to have our hearts solely focused on and God's knowledge and wisdom. However, this passage reminds us that despite these challenges, we should persevere and make sure that our hearts, ears, and lips are influenced by the Holy Spirit rather than the world around us. In order to do this, it's important to expose ourselves to "spiritual" things, i.e. the Word, gospel music, prayer, etc. In doing this, we would be conditioning ourselves to this spirituality and to God's influence rather than having our lives consumed by secular ones. We also have to guard our lips, as is mentioned in verse 15. It is important that we are careful with the words we say since they are a representation our identity and character. Since we are called to exemplify God's character in all that we do, our words should reflect His character in the same way. Through this, we are able to be and grow closer to Him.

Prayer Requests:
- Despite any amount of school work, I want to fit my schedule around God and learn to adapt my school life around the time I need to spend with Him.
- For my concentration. I haven't been able to concentrate well which makes it harder to commit to spending time with God.

"Glory and Praise" by Elevation Worship

Last edited by Ethanseo on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user profile

Matthew 13:18-23

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 pm
I had finished Luke, and so I wanted to focus on a little bit on Matthew and other verses for the week. This segment is the explanation of the Parable of the Sower. The parable goes with a man who is planting his seeds. Some of his seeds he throws out, and the birds come to eat them. Some land on rocky places, but wither out quickly soon after sprouting, and die due to no foundation for the roots. Some seeds land in the thorns. which grew and got choked up by the plants. However, some seeds landed on good soil and grew in abundance. Jesus tells us indirectly that we are the seeds, and that where we land determines our faith. He tells us that the seeds that are thrown and eaten are those who do not have faith at all, and ignore Jesus' message. The seeds that land on the rock are those that receive the word with joy and faith, but soon quickly lose that faith and not hold onto it any longer, which is why the seeds on the rock soon die out. Jesus here tells us to always maintain our faith in God, and not to "slack off" when we try to do our devo's or just try to learn his message. He tells us we need to be spiritually full to grow into an abundant plant, and bring out many joyous things in our life. The seeds that are planted but chocked, Jesus tells us that those people who have faith, but they get chocked up due to the worries in their life. This is telling us to not worry when we have God, for if we worry we cannot maintain our faith in him, and therefore wither and die out. This is especially hard, because alot of worries and just crap is going to happen in our lives and we just always need to trust him, and know that he is doing all this for a reason. If we do not worry and maintain our faith, we can be like those of the good seeds. Those, who are related to the good seeds grow in abundance, and understand the word of God and keep that word of God with them. If we have the word of God with us and we understand it regularly, we can grow spiritually in abundance, producing many crops for the sower, who is our Lord Jesus.

Prayer Requests
- Just want to stay really focused. I have alot of school work coming up and with gobowl and everything happening this weekend, I just want God to grant me strength to stay on task and just really be efficient in my time.
View user profile

The Parable of the Ten Virgins

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 pm
Matthew 25: 1-13
The Parable of the Ten Virgins

In this parable, there is a group of ten virgins who are set to welcome a bridegroom with their lamps. However out of the ten virgins, only five of them are wise and bring along extra jars of oil with them. The ten virgins then fall asleep, but all of a sudden they are informed that the bridegroom is set to arrive at around midnight, so they are forced to wake up and get ready to greet him. But because five of the virgins did not carry extra oil with them, their lamps run out of power. The five foolish virgins ask the five wise virgins for some of their oil, but they refuse and instead tell them to buy oil themselves. The five foolish virgins set out to buy some oil, however by the time they return the bridegroom had already arrived, and are not welcome into the wedding party. The reason Jesus tells this parable is to separate those who prepare themselves for God and those who don't. As Christians we don't know when the second coming of Jesus will happen, and so we have to over prepare for him as if he is coming tomorrow. In the parable, because the five wise virgins over prepared themselves for the bridegroom, even though he arrived at the most random time of the day (midnight) they were still able to come to him ready with their lamps. This is very applicable to me because I like to think that I can push off my decision to fully pursue God to later on in life, but this is a bad way to think because Jesus might return before I fully commit to him. Instead, I need to be like the wise virgins and be ready for his return so that even if he returns at an unexpected moment, I will be prepared to welcome him into my life. This parable can also be applied to our Youth Group because I feel like sometimes we are like the foolish virgins who just show up to the wedding banquet to enjoy the community and the people there. Although church can be a fun place to be, sometimes that is our main reason for going. But the real reason why we should be attending church is because we are eager to strengthen our relationship with God. We need to be like the wise virgins and have a heart that desperately wants to meet Jesus.

Prayer Requests:
-pray that I can be like one of the wise virgins and devote my life to Christ instead of pushing it off for a later time
-pray that tomorrow's praise night will be a blessing experience for us, and that during Gob bowl we can have great fellowship

Song: Do it Again - Elevation Worship

"I've seen You move, You move the mountains
And I believe, I'll see You do it again
You made a way, where there was no way
And I believe, I'll see You do it again"
These lyrics are very encouraging. Even though we go through suffering he will always do great things for us, as he has done in the past.
View user profile

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:33 pm
Its been some time since I posted, my heart really has not been in the right place this week and I have been struggling with some personal issues but I guess it’s the best to turn to god at these moments but it has been really hard to and i think that has been a reflection of why it has been a struggle to do these devotionals. Today I only read Luke chapter 4 where we learn about the Samaritan woman who learned about the water that makes one never thirsty again. However she learns that the water isn’t actually water but of the love of Jesus Christ where through this we can gain eternal life. I thought this spoke to me because the whole time she was thinking of her worldly needs and not her spiritual. I have been struggling a lot with this a lot lately and it has been a real struggle knowing what is actually good for my own sake or for god’s sake and a lot of the times my feelings get ahead of me. So this leads to my prayer request where I can rely more on god and just really get through this struggle by trusting in God's plan for me.

The song that I am posting is one of my favorites as the lyrics really spoke to some of the things that I have been struggling with, the lyrics in the song have
"Your Name is higher
Your Name is greater
All my hope is in You
Your word unfailing
Your promise unshaken
All my hope is in You"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87GYkLfQQ-8

View user profile

on Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:41 pm
11/15/18
Romans 9 - Paul's Anguish Over Israel, God's Sovereign Choice, Israel's Disbelief

This chapter is kind of a recap for the comparison of predestination and free will that the baptism/confirmation group discussed on Sunday. The entire chapter serves as proof that predestination is something that exists and that not everyone will be saved. Something that I found important was verse 8 which said, "In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring". This verse is significant to understanding that God's children are not only Israelites, but are anyone who promise to follow God. However, the predestined will always rise above the others. God is not unjust, because we don't even deserve this to begin with. Verse 16 says, "It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God's mercy". This again shows that no matter what we do, we don't deserve the salvation that God brings to the chosen. Therefore, we should live as though we have been chosen, as we are still bringing glory to God by spreading his word/facing his wrath.
I think this is an important passage to understand, especially because as a Presbyterian, we believe in predestination. It's definitely something that is hard to take, but I believe that it's important to understand that we were created ultimately to glorify God in any way that he sees fit. This passage was a good reminder to me of what we discussed and that I shouldn't complain when hardships come. I may never be able to understand what God is doing, I should be willing to serve him in every way that I possibly can.

Prayer Requests:
- to always be willing to serve God, no matter how difficult it may be
- not to be quick to anger and to handle situations with a calm head
- safety for gobbowl day
View user profile

on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:47 am
John 21
In the final chapter of John, the beloved disciple discloses some esoteric moments between the disciples and Jesus. The account between Jesus and Peter reveals a new caution for us Christians in that we must be fully aware that we can interfere with other's lives and God's plan for them. This notion is also transferrable to the reality in that our jobs as peers and mentors are to faithfully follow the Lord so that, in turn, His discernment can be revealed through our advice and guidance. As someone who is often sought out by certain individuals for advice, I have based most of my answers off of my insights and experiences but rarely ask or seek for the provision of God. My words and actions carry an incalculable weight, therefore with this new knowledge, I pray that all of it would end up glorifying God. What others intend for evil, God can turn into good. It has also come to my attention that most of us live only within the consciousness -- consciously serving and consciously devoted to God. However, this proves to be a sign of our immaturity in our faith because complete submission and surrender to God produces servitude and devotion even on the unconscious level. On a more serious note, Jesus relays to Peter that his death would be through crucifixion. Upon this blunt truth, he asks what John's death would be like. However, in verse 22, "Jesus said to him, "If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!" Jesus reprimands Peter for wanting to compare himself to others. Jesus reminds us that he will not compare me according to my superiority or inferiority. These are not the standards. Jesus has prepared a unique journey and calling for me to fulfill. A part of that is also trusting Him. Trusting that the Lord is sovereign and will ensure the well-being of things.
Prayer requests:
- I feel very overwhelmed lately and lost in terms of direction and motivation.
- I want God to take an increasing role in my life.
- I want to love others better, whether that be through time, patience, or servitude.

I played this in the background while doing my devotionals.

View user profile

on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:36 am
Romans 14 - Do Not Cause Another to Stumble

On Sunday, Pastor James was sharing with us about how toxic our interactions with each were and also how the culture at CCYG is so shallow. Hurting a brother or sister in youth group to gain some popularity or to fit in the cruel meta. It’s become so deep where its normal to roast each other instead encouraging them to grow. This type of culture we instilled at CCYG has sadly become our identity as a youth group. Romans 14:13-18 says “Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother. I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean. For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died.  So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.” Who are you to say someone else is worthless, what gives us the right to hurt a member of God’s family. We didn’t die for our sin, God gave up his only son so we can live a life to have a chance to reach salvation. God has gifted everyone at CCYG with a talent and purpose, if thats leading worship or welcoming others as they walk into Sunday service. Whats holding you back from doing what’s right? If you know God is the truth and the light what are you scared of? Don’t wait for others to lead instead become the leader and take charge. This life is God’s and through us hope is rising as his glory floods our hearts. Let love tear down these walls and not have hate build them back up because all creation will come back to you, this is all for God. Our gifts from God vary from each other but every gift fills a role, use your gift to build a bigger table not a taller fence.

Prayer Request

- My health, I’ve been struggling with a lot of back and leg pain since high school and the pain is resurfacing again. In high school I ran track and my main event was 110 meter high hurdles. To be competitive in this event you have to be a least 6’2” because getting over the hurdle at that height is easier and also puts less stress on your body. I’m 5’11” but 5’9” at the time so I had a hard time adapting to this event but I devoted all my time to become the best hurdler I could be. Four years of hard work placed me all conference, state qualifier, soon to be division 1 , and 51st best hurdler in the state of Illinois. But because of my height I suffered a lot of injuries like torn achilles, strained MCL/ACL, shin splints, and I always pulled muscle. Through all this the cost I pay now for pushing my legs beyond my limit is my having my legs not work properly. During the end of my junior year I was involved in a car accident which permanently damaged my pelvis and spine. This car accident wiped chance of running division 1 track in college and one by one I started to lose all my scholarships. Even after long rehab and treatment the pain has become tolerable but not fully healed. Lately these days my back and leg pains have been getting worse so if you guys can pray that pain can be healed or just tolerable so it doesn’t hurt. Thank you, I love you guys

Song of the Day

- Tear Down The Walls - Hillsong United
View user profile

Devotional

on Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:12 am
Romans 2, it talks a lot about judging people. I feel that this use to relate to me a lot more in the past but it always on my mind continuously because it is something I always steer away from because who am I to judge others when I make the same mistakes they do? Making and doing the same things that they are doing, while trying to cover it up with my own two face nature does not always cut the act because deep down inside I know that God knows everything. In verse 1, it talks a lot of about what I do, "You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things." (1) I can't be the ones to judge the people I do because those same actions they may have learned from someone else or possibly myself as well. I may have brought it okay for them to do these same things or say the same things that I do. In the past couple years, I thought it was okay for me to do those things. Also, I am no where near worthy to judge those and condemn those whom are doing wrong doings. In verses 3-4 it talks a lot about that, "So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?" (4) I can't expect for God to look at me and accept me for who I am if I can't do it to the people whom are near me in the first place.
Even though I may be going through a lot and many things around me may make me struggle, the only thing I can do is pray upon that action and ask God for forgiveness. Pray to God for acceptance for who I am because He is the only one who is able to judge the good and bad because I am only a pawn and child of him. I should try and help them and not look down upon them because it may have been a mere mistake or a mishap perhaps. I should not be too quick to judge because that was me at one point.
Prayer Request
- To really rely upon God with everything that I do
- To love everyone equally
View user profile

on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:31 pm
Romans 15 - The Example of Christ

In my last devotional shared about how we’re saved not because of what we’ve done but because God gave up his one and only son to die for our sins. Through his sacrifice we were granted another chance in life to achieve salvation, to grow and share the love of God with his people. God has blessed us with gifts so we can use these gifts to grow his kingdom, to build a bigger table not a taller fence. Romans 15:1-7 shares “We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, “The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me.” For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” The death of Jesus Christ not only freed us from sin but gave us duty to be an example of God. As an example we need to grow and share the love God is willing to give to us to others. This first starts with ourselves, we need to grow our relationship with God so we can help serve other. As leaders of CCYG, it’s not just a title we receive but a responsibility to make sure we guide this youth group in the path of God. To be rock for members who can’t move on their own or struggle on the way there. The way we change the culture at CCYG is the way we act in youth group. We need to lead not just by words but with our actions even if thats means we have to sacrifice some of our comforts or desires, this is what it means to be leader.

Prayer Requests

- My health
- My heart

Song of the Day
- More like Jesus - Jesus Culture
View user profile

Matthew 18:1-5

on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:30 am
In this passage, Jesus talks about his kingdom in heaven and how his disciples question him about this kingdom. They ask who is the greatest in this kingdom of heaven, and automatically I would think they presume it is Jesus. However, Jesus tells the disciples that the greatest in his kingdom are those who are like children. Not necessarily acting like children, but more like their position. He explains how those who see themselves as low as children are the greatest in heaven. Jesus here tells us that we can't be prideful or see ourselves in a high position, but rather give ourselves to be in a selfless, low position to be the greatest in the kingdom of God. What shocks me here is that Jesus says whoever accepts those children into the kingdom of heaven, they also accept Jesus himself. This is telling us that Jesus is seen like one of those children, being someone in a low position and not someone high and mighty. He relates himself to being a servant, someone low rather than a king. Yet, this all comes full circle to one of the most well known messages in the Bible: To be Christ-Like. Jesus tell's us we have to be selfless and below others if we want to be the greatest in the kingdom of God, and Jesus also says indirectly that he is indeed like those children. This is saying that we have to be accepting of people lower than us and that we have to also be lower than others. This brings in God's message of "I am third" with God being first, than others, and then yourself. But again, with Jesus indirectly telling us that he is like those children tells us to be more Christ like. If Jesus is like those children and we should be low enough to be the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven, then we have to start acting more like Christ, which means we have to be selfless towards one another.

Prayer Requests: Really hope gobowl goes well tom, and that we can jut be relaxed with school, and try not to be stressed from all the homework.

Song:
Death was Arrested

After hearing Philipi play this song, it reminded me how great God was and just how amazing this song in general was. I was truly blessed.
View user profile

on Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:07 am
Today I read Luke chapter 5 and I am pretty sure I already did one on this parable but it just really reminds and rebukes me every time. Luke chapter 5:31-32 says, "Jesus answered them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” A lot of the times I feel ashamed for some of the sins that I commit and go through these long periods of not spending time with god and trying to rely on worldly things. I feel like this happens way too often and has been a habit that has been really stunting my own spiritual growth. I should learn that when I sin I should ask for forgiveness and seek God for help and this passage really reminds me that Jesus came for sinners like me, that he will love me even through the crimes that I commit against him.

Prayer Request:
- Just dealing with a few things personally and to get through it
- Gobble Bowl that all you guys will be safe, to know that it is an event to bond with other brothers and sisters and to have fun
- School, Work, Church, Family, Friends

View user profile

on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:52 am
Romans 16 - Wrap up

Today I finished the book of Romans, through this book I’ve learned many things like the reckless love of God, to be slaves of righteousness, the knowledge of the law, God’s everlasting love, God’s sovereign choice, the message of salvation, the foundation of being a follower, fulfilling the law through love, not causing others to stumble, and finally being an example of God. Through these lesson my biggest take back is there is how God is everything and everywhere. This book taught me about how much God gave up so we can live our lives how we do today. No matter where you are, who you are, and how broken your are God always has room in his heart for us. Doing my devotional on this book has changed my perspective on how I should treat others and how I should live my life out for God. To show the love to others like how God shared his love to us, leaving the ninety to find the one. For me reach out to others especially to the ones who struggle and feel left out at CCYG. Yes, its going to be hard for me to do but its definitely worth it in the long run. As leaders we need to step to the plate and fulfill the title of being a leader at CCYG. Like in Romans 16:17-20 says “I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them.  For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites,[a] and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive. For your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, but I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.” To be honest I don’t know how long I’m going to be serving at CCYG, it might the next year and half or by the end of the summer. My heart has been in many places lately and I think God is telling me my time at CCYG is coming to a close and knowing that breaks my heart. CCYG is family to me, through the thick and thin, the hardship we faced together and overcoming them, the laughs and tears, and especially becoming family I could love. In all seriousness, CCYG doesn’t need me to function its needs leaders who are devoted and have the heart to serve. I know CCYG will be okay without me because I’m not the foundation of this youth group, God is the foundation so if we keep the faith the body will not break. My goal for CCYG before my hourglass time runs out is to help build the leadership to function and act as leaders. To be build confidence in you guys to lead on your own and not be scared but be filled with joy as you do it. I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to leave behind once I step down from CCYG and I think I know the answer now. My answer is not to be remember in what I’ve done but remember what God has done in the past 2-3 years of when I was serving.

Songs of the Day
- Remembrance
- Reckless Love
- Tear Down The Walls
- More Like Jesus
- Second Chance
View user profile

Devotional

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:13 am
Genesis 11
Tower of Babel
Such a simple, yet, amazing story to listen about as it is simple and astounding at the same time. These people came together to build this place in order for them to go up into the heavens. “Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.” (4). As they continuously built this tower on and on, God realized that they were aiming to become people who would look down upon others around them. They wanted to become people whom would be literal kings so that no one would be able to take them down if they built this place. Speaking the same language for them was the most important and key component of letting this happen for them, and that’s where God made his biggest stance and impact upon these people. In verse 6-7, it says everything as, The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.” As God made this approach, it confused everyone. It made them not understand anything others around them were saying and basically formed tribes scattering them around the world. God didn’t want them to make this in order for them to reach the heavens and look upon others around them, but wanted them to glorify him and him alone while giving him all the praise and honor.
I feel this is such an important lesson to me because I want to be at the top. I want to reach the heavens but a lot of times, I forget why I am doing it. I fail to realize that God is the one who deserves all the honor and He is the only one that I actually need. There’s no reason for me to need to mold or make anything, but He just wants my heart and my praise towards him.
Prayer Request
- Health, I have a lot of things going on so I just want to stay healthy
- Leadership, to show the youth group how much God has done for me even though I don’t deserve it
View user profile

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:16 am
Ecclesiastes 2:1-11
“Pleasures are Meaningless”

It is the Teacher telling us that everything we do is just for the sake of it. We work and we put our hard work into it and we do things that are nice and kind are all meaningless. And if you get something in return for all this work that you’ve been doing it is all just a simple, meaningless little achievement that could have only been for just the rewards and the fame. It tell us that we do not have anything to gain from all this meaningless work we have done. It’s like chasing after the wind and we gain nothing. It is very deep and sometimes can be very true in our lives. We work for something to get something in return or when you finish your work containing your hardworking effort you don’t feel anything because it does not please you, but it does please your greed and you don’t feel any spiritual accomplishment because you did not do it for the sake of being nice and working just to say that I made a difference today we work and think we will probably get something in return.

Prayer Requests:
Please pray for my spiritual guidance towards a more Christian life and for my family because some of them are going through a hard time and for everyone that is difficult to love and to accept.

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:21 am
Leadership axioms 3 talks about the may seasons that youth groups go through and how leaders should always be aware to handle these type of seasons. I think this is something that has always been going on with our church especially with the recent departure of Pastor Peter. We did go through times of trouble as I felt that we lost our identity as a youth group trying to differentiate ourselves from the EM. Not that it was bad to worship with other brothers and sisters, it just felt as if we lost something valuable to us. However, God blessed us with a new youth pastor and started to grow in many ways through these past few months and to be able to sustain it through the next years. That leads to chapter 49 where we go through this growth but change it so that we can make it sustainable. An example was used in the chapter where Willow Creek had a partnership in Latin America and sent many volunteers and tinkered and changed it so that it can be sustainable through the next few decades. I feel like in these times of growth, we should learn to change and tinker what we have now so that we can make it sustainable to be a God loving youth group.

blessings:
- To see our youth group just bond with other brother and sister through gobble bowl, saw like no complaining and arguing with other churches and a lot of sportsmanship
- Another that I just remembered now was to see one of the younger members of our youth group go out of their way to talk to one an even younger member who does not come out as much and has trouble fitting in

Prayer Requests:
- I feel like the fire I had to do these died down a lot but that I can get the same passion to learn more about God
- In a time of thanksgiving, to really just be thankful for all the things god has done for me by putting all these blessings in my life
- Work, School, Church, Friends, Family

View user profile

2 Timothy 1:6-8

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:42 am
This passage talks about how we should be loyal to God and the gospel. The previous passage was talking about thanksgiving, and how Timothy thanks the Lord for reminding him of his faith in God. This leads to why we should be loyal to him. Timothy tells us that the gift of God is his spirit, and how his spirit but gives us power, love and self-discipline. I relate this alot to the Fruits of the Spirits, with the fruits being what the Spirit gives us, and this passage includes some of those fruits. Yet, because of this power, Timothy tells us not to be ashamed, rather be able to suffer through for the gospel with the power of God. I think Timothy here is saying how we shouldn't be ashamed, nor should we be afraid with the fact that we are Christians serving God. In fact, we should be out going, and try to spread the gospel everywhere. This is a reoccurring theme with a lot of churches, including ours. WE are encouraged to spread the gospel, which is why we go on mission trips. Yet, I always remember one of the leaders telling us that our mission to spread this gospel doesn't stop with missions. We should urge to spread the gospel wherever we go, whether that be school, family, friends, or anywhere. No matter what, we should never be ashamed of our Lord, and we should always strive to spread the gospel. And with God's spiritual power, we can.

Prayer Requests
- I'm really happy with how gobowl turned out! Glad everyone stayed safe and had fun hopefully.
- Also wanted to pray for my stress. I have a lot of school work to do, and with doing gobowl all day today, I had no time. It also doesn't help that I have a concert on Sunday as well, and I have a lot of school work. Just want to pray for God to be with me and help me be able to really work through my work, and try to be on task and efficient.
View user profile

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:56 am
11/16/18
Romans 10

This chapter was a direct continuation of what chapter 9 talked about. Pastor James and I had a brief conversation about it, so I'll just briefly sum up what we talked about.
We specifically talked about a couple of select verses within the chapter. The first set was verses 5-10. This was talking about how Moses wrote that, "The person who does these things will live by them, but the righteous that is by faith says: "Do not say in your heart, 'Who will ascend to heaven?' or 'Who will descend into the deep?'". I thought it was interesting that in the end, everything tied back to the idea of predestination and that people are predestined to ascend to heaven or descend to the deep. The reason that this is still by God's mercy and is still fair is because we don't deserve this in the first place. We never deserved God's mercy to save us from going to the deep, so the ones who ascend to heaven are blessed by God's mercy.
Something interesting that Pastor James talked about was verse 15, which said "And how can anyone preach unless they are sent. As it is written: 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'". This was a quote that I have heard often, but I didn't know the meaning behind it until today. He told me that the messenger who returns to the city bearing news of victory at war is considered to have beautiful feet. In the same way, how much more beautiful are the feet of those who bring the message of good news that the battle over sin can be/is won?
A particular section that I found interesting during another read through alone was about how not everyone who hears God's good news believe in him and accept it. I think this section made me realize that I should be more conscious of the good news and not take it for granted, since it's really a gift from God. I should accept this in a more celebratory way as the people who blessed the messenger's feet should be, and not take it for granted.

Prayer Requests:
- Gobbowl tomorrow! Pray that everyone can stay safe
- Pray for me and my devo schedule... I keep pushing it off last minute.

11/17.18
Romans 11:1-24 - The Remnant of Israel; Ingrafted Branches

Forgot to actually post my devo last night... I had it written on a google doc before I knocked out so I'll just submit it all in the same one.
The first half of Romans 11 consists of 2 sections. The first is about the people of Israel who messed up, and how they had to face eternal punishment for kneeling to one that wasn't their God. It shows that not all Israel will be saved; he will only save the ones he foreknew. The second part is personally the part I thought was more important and I found very impactful to my life in general. It talks about God in the sense of a tree, and compares us to branches that he ingrafts onto the tree. Although Israelites were originally the one people of God, the Gentiles can be grafted onto the tree through God's love and nourishing. On the other hand, the Israelites can be pruned off of this tree for their actions. This shouldn't happen, since if the roots and nutrients are healthy, the branches should be healthy and holy as well. However, it also sends a warning to the Gentiles after this positive speech. It says that they should live in fear of God, because God would not hesitate to prune them off for the sake of the entire tree.
I really liked the second portion of the first half of the chapter because it helped me visualize things in a literal sense. I thought it was helpful to think through this analogy of trees and branches, and I liked that there was a legitimate way to go through with this. We should live in fear of God and not express superiority over other branches, because it will poison the entire tree with our sin. Reading this passage made me think about how we were adopted by Christ to save us and expand his kingdom. I thought that these were two different scenarios that could be extremely similar, and found that there were many similarities between the two. I think that it's really cool how the entire Bible weaves together and that we need to see specific parts AND the whole picture to get the full experience.

Prayer Requests:
- Live for God in a way that is pleasing to him, and not what I "think" is pleasing
- Staying warm and not sick after Gobbowl
- Serve tomorrow with a good heart that is centered on God.
View user profile

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:48 am
Psalm 136;

Guys today was super blessed and I'm just so proud of our youth group. Though it might've just been a hectic day on a football field running around like headless chickens, it was a glimpse of our youth group just cheering each other on. Though it can sound really cheesy, just goes to show the warmth that we're capable of expressing through Christ. Sure we can manufacture a love for each other but it will never be true love unless it stems from Christ, especially as the True Vine.

This passage is a passage about thanksgiving and it is a passage concerning not only of God's faithfulness to the Israelites but in His character as to how He has revealed Himself to be through the history of Israel. After a thought or concern about God, it responds with, "For his steadfast love endures forever." In the midst of everything - God reigns supreme and we can attribute all that is good to His character. Verse 23 states, "It is he who remembered us in our low estate, for his steadfast love endures forever." This is a verse that really struck a nerve in me, for it goes to show that God remembers us in the midst of our lowliness.

Theologically, as a human being we are nothing compared to the divine deity in God. And the fact that God took on human flesh to restore and redeem His people was the ultimate sign of humility. God knows us at our worst and He knows the sin that we have committed and will commit. And He commits His son to die on the cross on our behalf. This is a truth that truly liberates us.
-We are eligible to give thanks to someone when we know them. We can't really thank anything or anyone that is arbitrary, anything that is outside our scope of knowledge. But when Christ condescended from heaven's throne, we made Himself knowable. In order that we can attribute all glory, honour, and thanksgiving to the One who is deserving of all of it. And now we are called to respond correctly, with a true understanding of God and His character.

Incredibly thankful for each and everyone of you guys and I want to continue to serve with a thankful heart knowing that it was God and only God who could've brought me to you guys.

View user profile

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:20 am
Leadership Axioms Chapter 3: You’re Always in a Season

Summary: In this chapter Hybels talks about seasons or phases that churches go through. A good leadership team will know at any moment the season that their church is going through. The season of growth should be one where we should enjoy the season and play it out for as long as we can. During  the seasons of consolidation, which usually follows the season of growth, is where we should invest in each other and build each other up. Everyone has gone through the transition seasons where multiple staff members leave at once. The season of malaise is the one leaders dread the most. It is where everything feels stale and you’ve hit a plateau. Lastly, there is Reinvention. This is where some necessary pruning is done to for future growth. Hybels refers to Ecclesiastes 3:1 which is the passage about how there is a time for everything. He believes that people don’t know that season they are in unless you tell them.

Application: As a leader who has been on the team for awhile, I believe that we have been in a season of malaise for a while until Pastor James came to our church. Currently, I think that we are going through reinvention and heading towards growth. I think this is very important to know because it gives us awareness to spot the problems that come with every season and fix them. As a leadership team, we should always be thinking of ways we can improve this church and the culture. We are pretty dead in that department, especially early in the morning on Sunday. I believe that we are still in the growing phase and that we can do a lot better when everyone brings their A-game.

Prayer Requests:
Please continue to pray for John and Justin’s family
Please pray that I may not procrastinate in these devos
Please pray for Winter Retreat

Song of the Day:
“I am not my mistakes
I am a child of God
You have called me by name
I'm home in my Father's arms”

View user profile

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:21 am
Leadership Axioms Chapter 49: Is It Sustainable?

Summary: Hybels share this story of a runner that started out at a full sprint and by lap six, he was out of steam. This imagine of the runner out of breath reminded him of his early days as a leader. It didn’t matter what resources he used or how much energy he expended, as long as it helped the church grow, he did it. Whenever his leadership team came up with a new initiative, now he asks three questions, “Is it kingdom-advancing? Can we launch it well? Is it sustainable?” Hyble warns us that a project crashes can cause terrible damage it is a necessity to take the precaution to think of these things before they happen. Hybel shares a story of his Latin American partnerships. First it started with a hundred thousand dollars invested to sending volunteers and supporting them. Over 8 years, it grew to a million dollars a year and send almost a thousand volunteers. Hybels realized that at the rate aht they were going, they would be flying planes full of volunteers and taking their entire annual budget. Therefore, he brought the leaders from different corners of the world and brought them to tinker the plan so the partnership can grow over ten to twenty years. Hybels believes that we shouldn’t launch something unless he has a strong sense that we can build it, resource it, and sustain it over the long haul.

Application: This chapter hit me pretty hard. Sustainability is something that takes discipline, planning, commitment. I think a lot of us go through a phase where we “yolo” everything. Yea the phase is pretty fun but at the end of it, we end up burnt out and not wanting to do anything. An example that I’m sure a lot of us can relate to is one where we have a school project. We can either be discipline and work at the project proportionally to the due date. However, most of us end up in the situation where we have to cram in everything at the last minute and we don’t do the best that we can because of a timeline. I feel like that's how we treat our faith. We live our week like as if there is no project to be done and then on the weekends, we cram everything that we need to do. Don’t get me wrong, I am 100 percent guilty of this too. To be sustainable and last the maraton that is life, we need to live sustainable lives and one example of this is not staying too late for Friday nights. We as leaders should lead by example and be the one to have our church members live lives that are sustainable.

Prayer Requests:
Please pray to have us live sustainable lives
Please pray that I may be more disciplined in my sleep schedule
Please pray that the leaders don’t burn out
I’ve shared before that I felt like I’ve been in a slump before, and I think that it's because I feel a little burnt out from balancing work and church.

Song of the Day:
“Then came the morning that sealed the promise
Your buried body began to breathe
Out of the silence, the Roaring Lion
Declared the grave has no claim on me
Then came the morning that sealed the promise
Your buried body began to breathe
Out of the silence, the Roaring Lion
Declared the grave has no claim on me
Jesus, Yours is the victory, whoa!”

View user profile

Mathew 6:16-18 Fasting

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:20 am
This passage talks about fasting and when you fast don't let your face look weak so others will know you are fasting. Instead, wash your face and look nice so others don't see but only God does. This passage doesn't apply to me for fasting but the underlying meaning does, I worship God on Sundays and for the rest of the week I just go about living my life. And it's not like my life is full of sin but it's that I don't really make an effort. That's why it's so hard to post the devos because I just don't want to and why it's a struggle to read the chapters of the book we were given. It's partially senioritis but it's also because I'm just "acting Christian" and it's also because it has been feeling more like work than anything else. Part of it was because of the time period of when I wasn't at church for like a whole month and I really felt distant from God at that point. I was becoming "less Christian" and it's only when someone else pointed it out for me but it was very much the devil attacking me. This scared me a lot because I felt that it was true but I kept going not making much of an effort. I'm really glad that I have people that are keeping me accountable for doing devos and things like that because I really need it.

Prayer Requests
- Being more disciplined with everything in my life especially with my relationship with God (Ex. Staying on top of my devos, praying, worshipping)
- Having a better heart about going through devos.
- Not having devos feel like work but something I look forward to.
View user profile

James 1: 19-25 Listening and Doing

on Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 am
In the first verse, this passage talks about being slow to anger, slow to speak, and quick to listen. I already failed here because this whole week I have been quick to anger, quick to speak and slow to listen. I have been especially like that with those I love most. The passage then says that becoming angry does not produce the righteousness that God desires. That's why we have to get rid of all moral filth and evil that is so prevalent and accept the saving word of God in you. When I read this part in the passage I knew that it made sense but it just kind of seemed crazy to me because we have to get rid of ALL evil and moral filth. And as lazy as I already am this seems like a lot of work for a non-lazy person too. In this passage, a person who merely listens to the word and does not do what is said is compared to someone who just looked into a mirror and forgot how they looked like. To be honest, this has happened to me in real life and it is happening to me now spiritually. I've been going to church on Sundays and I even pray in the mic to all of us "that we would carry the message in our hearts throughout the week" and I can't' even do that a lot of the times. The passage then shows the contrary, but those who do live out the word will be blessed in what they do. I haven't been carrying a heart like God's or at least trying to in a while. To be honest, this is definitely a low point in my "Christian Career" also known as C.C. I've been getting angry at everyone but some don't know it because I don't show it. And I would also get angry at the stupidest things ever at times. It's definitely has gotten better after I went to church and that should encourage me more to dive into the word and live it out but there is something pulling me back, moral filth and the evil maybe. I just need you guys to pray for me and to keep me accountable because right now I feel like I'm fighting and uphill battle and I'm not doing very well because part of me doesn't even want to fight. But that fight is growing.

Prayer Request
- Having a better heart about doing the Christian stuff and wanting to do it instead of it feeling like a chore. Have a fire in my heart and it being a passion.
- Being slow to anger, slow to speak, and quick to listen.
- Love those around me more, especially those who love me a lot because I can't even love them sometimes.
- Become more self-less and not have such a selfish heart.
- Get rid of all this moral filth and evil that is so prevalent in my life.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum