Go down
Admin
View user profilehttp://ccyg.forumotion.com

October 21st to 27th (Suggested Passage: Luke 15)

on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:23 pm
Hello leaders of CCYG, please follow this suggested template for your devotionals/quiet time.

Scripture Passage: Luke 15 (Can be any passage, Luke 15 for this week is suggested!);

1. Pray. Ask God to reveal Himself onto you through Scripture. Ask God to give you an appetite for his Word (Just like how we always pray before we eat - you are essentially praying before you eat spiritually
2. Read maybe 2-3 times
3. Interpret the passage, see what verses, terms, and key phrases stick out to you.
4. See how you can apply the passage - knowledge is amazing, and to know God is essentially our focus. Even better if you can find ways to apply it.
5. Share your prayer requests. Seriously. Everyone is able to read what you flesh out and we are a Church that will pray on your behalf - also an opportunity for you to pray for others as well.
-You can always share praise songs that has spoken to you as well, maybe throughout your devotional/quiet time.
6. Pray to end off your devo, trust God that He is working through this initiative.

Please read over Leadership Axioms chapter 7 and 24 and Radical chapter 1 - include Radical into your devotionals this week.
Guys, let's keep continuing strong with the devos, I sense really good energy and I think that God is really using our initiative in trying to be as faithful as possible. God has already done amazing things, there'll definitely be more to come... keep up the good work everyone, proud of you guys! <3

Fun fact: you get notifications for devos for that week once you have posted at least once.
View user profile

Re: October 21st to 27th (Suggested Passage: Luke 15)

on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:28 am
Reflected on Luke 15:1-10, and I think that immediately what struck me was the fact that we are called to repent through these two parables - the parable of the lost sheep/lost coin.

And though the Jewish tradition taught that God would receive sinners who sought His forgiveness earnestly enough, here we see that God is the one seeking for us. Supposedly the shepherd back in the day was responsible for each and every single sheep, he was responsible to report back to the owner to see that none would be lost, hurt, or killed. But not to say that we ought to feel entitled to the same protection from Jesus, he still provides us the care, nourishment, and love that we definitely do not deserve. We often perceive repentance to be some sort of action that is contingent upon our own faithfulness, or even our own desire to change. Yet after reflecting on this passage, I personally thought that apart from God and honouring Him, we have no reason to hate our sins. We have no reason to turn away from the very things that are actually really pleasing. Sin is tempting, and temptation calls us and it draws us. And apart from Christ's death and resurrection, we will ALWAYS gravitate towards what is satisfying to us.

But the question that arose in light of this is, "Am I satisfied in Christ? Is knowing Him more enjoyable than my sins? Or do I constantly allow my love for Christ and love for sin to battle each other?" We can see that in verses 7 and 10, the fact that heaven joys over our repentance. But am I joying over it? Or do I find myself grumbling at the fact that God restricts my behaviour and gives me a set of laws to follow?

Often times, the desire is not there. The desire to pursue God is lacking, congruent to our identities as dumb sheep. Yet we have a faithful shepherd, who pursues us though we turn away and dig our own graves of pleasure surrounded by our own vomit. And we love our vomit, for we think we know what is good for us.
-We need a new set of eyes, and for our ears to be open in order that we can be attentive to our God. And our faith is dependent on God. Faith is a gift, and we ought to seek it earnestly - just as a child begs for candy from their parents. There is really great comfort in knowing that our God is a kind of God that you can wake up in the middle of the night for a cup of water. We can 'bug' him, we can 'annoy' him. For He will never cast us aside.

Today's passage was just like a giant mirror for me, that God revealed the fact that it is truly Him who watches over us, cares for us, and sustains us. As much as I think that I need to know God, I really felt as if today's passage showed me truth about myself. Where my idols are, where my heart is, and what my own posture looks like. May we live and exemplify a life of celebration, that God has redeemed, is redeeming, and will forever continuously redeem us - to the praise of His glory.

Please pray for me in order that I can have greater ambition for our youth group, and for God to give me His heart in order that I can love on you guys, just as He does.
-Right now I really sense that I lack nothing. Yes things can definitely obviously be better, but I can find myself lacking nothing. And I'm really comforted by that... please pray for my heart to be overjoyed with thanksgiving at all TIMES, regardless of the circumstances. It's easy to curse God when times are rough as it is easy to praise Him when times are good. But I'm scared to see as to how I'd respond to God when things don't always go my way. Please pray that when that time comes that I can respond in humility, just as Job once did.
View user profile

on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 am
Started Luke today and hopefully will make it to Luke 15th eventually this week. Luke chapter 1 basically goes over how Jesus and John the Baptist were conceived and what stood out to me was just the joy from Elizabeth, who was too old to conceive a child. However God blessed her and gave her a child and verse 42 says that "she exclaimed with a loud cry" and verse 45 says, "And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord." These two examples were mentioned because she was waiting for so long for a child and was blessed by the Lord and she just praised and yelled this blessing full of joy. This made me think that a lot of times, I take things for granted where I am not thankful or joyful enough in the blessings that I have received with just a loving family, church and just the opportunity to go to college. Also, notable was the amount of time she waited and how patient she was to receive the blessing. A lot of times I believe I am too impatient and needy where I want to be in nursing school now or I want to work, get married and I want all these things to happen to me quickly that it makes me so impatient that I often stray from God and look to these worldly things and try to let it take over my life. This passage taught me that I should be more thankful and patient for the blessings that come my way.

Prayer requests:
-More patience in my life that I can really trust god with my future
-Anatomy exam again this week
-school, family church as always
View user profile

on Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:19 pm
In light of the two parables from yesterday, Luke 15:11-32 provides us the blessing of understanding the kingdom of God through a short narrative - The Parable of the Prodigal Son.

As the younger son returns due to HUNGER (not a sense of full contrition/repentance), yet it was his grumbling stomach that had brought him back home. Just readying himself to say that he's sinned against his father and to beg for his forgiveness, the father ran off to him when he saw him from a distance. And as the younger son then reiterates what he had just rehearsed, it seems as though the father almost ignores him, and doesn't give a response in light of that yet just reinstates what he already had when he was a son in his household. His clothing, jewelry, and shoes were all returned to him. I think the understanding of the passage comes through the firm recognition that the younger son is a son. And though he had abandoned his household, demanded that he received his inheritance (even before his father is dead, that's like a death wish) and ran off and squandered his living, his identity did not change.

Likewise, for our identities as sons and daughters of our heavenly Father, it does not change. It does not change due to circumstance, the lack of devotion/faithfulness, and it does not change no matter how well we perform as well. We must be reminded of this truth, because we ought to behave/act congruent to our identities. Sin is not congruent to our identity - because we are no longer sinners in Christ, yet co-heirs in Him. Since then we have been raised with Christ, we ought to set our minds on things above, and continuously renew our minds due to our new identity in Christ.

On the other hand, the older son was grumbling when the younger son received grace and complained to the Father. He has also fallen in his understanding of his identity. He is a son, and he already was a son. Did not the father say, "Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours."? As an older brother it would've been fitting for him to celebrate that his brother came home. Rather, he set himself apart and didn't consider the younger brother a brother to the household anymore... But the FATHER did, does, and always will.

I learned today that whenever I live in sin, I am not actually no longer living (for that moment in time). If my identity is a son in God the Father in light of Christ's redemptive work and the sustaining work of the Holy Spirit, whenever I turn away - I am performing an action that harms my new identity. Sin reminds us of our old identities before we have come to know God and know His grace. If God is so great, then why do we turn back to our sin? If our new identities are better, why do we settle for second place when God offers us the best in Him?
-In response to this question, I'd say that it is because we are incredibly forgetful creatures. We must continuously remind ourselves of the grace that has been given to us, and we ought to continuously preach the Gospel to our hearts, almost convincing ourselves day to day that this truth is the truth that had set me free.

After reading Bo's prayer topic, I also want to be prayed for patience haha... I think that I can often times lose myself in whatever I'm doing and I soon forget that God has set the times in my life in place and that there is a time for every season. I want to be fully thankful and humble during THIS season of life, and still be able to be eager for the future - but I want to live more in the present and to listen in to how God would want me to be faithful throughout this season.

I listened to this song throughout today's devo - it isn't usually what I'm used to but it was still refreshing nonetheless. Refreshingly super intense haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-dnI5X315c
View user profile

Devotional

on Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:28 pm
I decided to do my devotional on 1 Corinthians 13 (1-7). I came upon this as I was remembering things around me, where I am taking things for granted and wanted to show more interest and love into. If you read this passage carefully, you can see that it has to do with saying nothing on multiple occasions. Specifically in verses 3 and 4, which read, "If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." I had a realization about this because on many different areas of my life right now, I am struggling to show a lot of compassion and love into it. A lot of times I see these things around me and not have that realization that this was not always here for me and I may or may not have been given this chance to really explore and learn from it.
Now, in verses 4-7, it reads this, "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." If I continuously love these things around me, everything is just that much better. I should not be having these second thoughts about why I am in this current stage or anything. I should not have a bitter attitude throughout anything about what I am doing because I should be giving it the same amount of love as anything else around me and which God has shown me as well.
I remember having to memorize this entire chapter when I was in elementary school and it still sticks to me until today. This passage has always came up to me whenever I am feeling a little down and just things are not going the way that I have planned it to go. Even through the darkest and hardest times, I know that I am still able to show love throughout everything that I do because of the love that Christ has shown me day in and day out. Even though I struggle, I know that God is always looking after me throughout whatever I may be doing.

Prayer Request
- I am currently sick, so if you guys can pray for that. Smile
-School in general that I can focus diligently.

Songs
I love you Lord
Great I Am
View user profile

on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:28 am
The Passage that I will focus on today is Luke 6 where Jesus is teaching a large group of people from Judea, Jerusalem and the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon. One of the most famous teachings that Jesus has taught us was that as a follower of christ we must learn to love our enemies. Luke chapter 6:27 specifically says,"But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you." And as someone who heard this so many times I take it lightly thinking that if I tried I can love anyone. However, this may sound pretty bad but there are people who I legitimately hate in this world and just the thought of just praying and loving for them infuriates me. It really exposes the true nature of my heart yet I want to learn this kind of love where even through all this hate I may learn to love them.

Another part of the passage that I would like to talk about is Luke 6:42 and I believe that this is something many Christians may struggle with, even myself. The verse says, "How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother's eye." A lot of times I judge other people from church for their actions and struggles when I struggle with those same sins. As PJ said on Sunday of how "iron needs to sharpen iron" how can i be iron so that i can sharpen my brothers and sisters instead of being a hypocrite who judges and demeans others.

Prayer requests:
-To have a more loving, understanding and patient heart
-School, Family, Church, Friends as always

Songs: I Surrender
View user profile

on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:02 am
Matthew 16:21-28 Jesus Predicts His Death

Summary:Jesus explained to his disciples of what was the plan when heading to Jerusalem, where he will suffer a great deal of pain. Then he will be killed and on the third day, he will be raised. Peter rebelled and said, "Never, Lord! this shall never happen to you!" (v.22). Jesus then says "Get behind me, Satan! you are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns." Then Jesus talks to the rest of the disciples and says to them, "whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me...Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom" (v.24-28)

Application: I really was surprised when Jesus told Peter a devil. It might seem like an overreaction however that just shows you how seriously Jesus was taking this. I think that since most of us grew up in the church, the weight of spending eternity in hell or heaven has faded. Jesus called his disciple and one of his closest friend a devil because he was worrying more about Jesus instead of God's will. How many of us can say the same? I think it would be more common for the exact opposite, which I am very much guilty of. Since our friend is right in front of us and God is above, not visible to the naked eye, it makes it a lot easier to take your friend's side and worry/do stuff for them, which might go against the will of God. The example that comes to mind is the time we spend with each other during prayer night at retreats. We spend more time just talking to each other and gossiping than prayer for each other/ other people.  

Prayer request:
- Be reminded that God is our priority
- Be reminded that if we are not with God, we are against God

Meaningful Lyric:
"When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with you above the storm
Father you are king over the flood
I will be still and know you are God"

View user profile

on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:40 am
Today I went over the passages Luke chapters 7-9 and throughout these chapters, Jesus performed so many miracles that just left people amazed yet so many of them did not have the faith in him as Christ the Savior but instead thought he was either John the Baptist or Elijah. However, I found the few that had so much faith in him to be such a blessing. Luke chapter 7:1-10 was when a Centurion came to Jesus and asked for him to heal whose servant was very ill. The most blessing part of this story was the fact that the centurion asks for Jesus to heal him on the spot because he knew and had faith that Jesus will be able to heal him without being there. This even marveled Jesus who said himself that he has never seen such a man with that much faith in all of Israel. Luke chapter 7:36-48 speaks of a very sinful woman who enters the house of a Pharisee where Jesus was having a meal at. She entered and did deeds such as kissing his feet, washing his feet with her tears, drying with her hair and anointing it with ointment. The Pharisee tells Jesus of how sinful she is and of how she is known for being a huge sinner and Jesus says in verses 41-43, "A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. When they could not pay, he cancelled the debt of both. Now which of them will love him more?” Simon answered, “The one, I suppose, for whom he cancelled the larger debt.” And he said to him, “You have judged rightly.” As someone who knew she was sinful, she came to Jesus and did all these deeds out of love, and had faith that her sins would be forgiven by Jesus that through shame and sin she still came to do all these deeds through faith is just incredible. Luke Chapter 8: 43-48 speaks of a woman with the discharge of blood who was unable to be healed by many physicians and was basically was waiting for death went to Jesus and reached for his clothes in a group of people and was immediately healed. In summary, I just thought the faith of these people was just such a blessing and inspiration to me, as someone who struggles with faith at times of hardships.

Prayer requests:
-To have undying faith in God and not other worldly things
-School, church, family, friends as always
-A lot of my friends who stopped or do not go to church that they may find the way

Songs: God is Able
View user profile

on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:12 am
Romans 4 - The Promise Realized Through Faith

This week so far has been pretty challenging for me physically, mentally, and spiritually. I've been fighting a cold and feeling really drained even when I'm resting. This my first devotional for the week and its just what I needed in moment like this. Romans 4:20-21 "No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised." This verse really stood out to me because in my moments of doubt or fear I question do I stand firm knowing that God will have a path for me? The answer should be yes, but theres so many times when I lose faith, fall into other temptations, and question God. I used to think if God loves me so much, why does he put me in difficult or scary situations. If God loves me why won't things go the way I want them to go. The mindset I had led me astray and ultimately led me to a decision I had to make. Either I follow this path not trusting God or to believe in him and keep growing. In that moment taking the gamble to give my life to God and grow with him was probably the best decision I've ever made. John Piper says "it wasn't meaningless, its doing something its not meaningless, of course you don't see what its doing... don't look to what its seen." Its easy for us to give up when we don't see results quickly or physically in front of us. Even though I gave my life to God I know I'm going to fail and thats okay. God didn't make us to be perfect but made us to fight for his love. To have faith and share his gospel to the people who are lost. It's not meaningless its doing something, our daily devotional is helping us grow with God even if you don't feel it or see it, we're growing with him.

Prayer Request
- To not be sick anymore please TT
- To faith in God when I feel lost or scared
- To believe in him even when I feel where God is taking me isn't the place I'm suppose to be it right now in my life

Song of the Day
- Though you slay me - Shane and Shane
- Yours (Glory and Praise) Elevation Worship
View user profile

Luke 15:1-8

on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:22 pm
So I'll start with Luke 15 for this week's devos. The first few verses of how the Pharisees and the teachers of the law disgrace Jesus for eating and being around sinners. Yet, it's curious how they say negative thing so of Jesus yet still stay to listen to his message. It could be because God was possibly making them stay to be changed by Jesus' message, or it could just be they wanted to hear what he was going to say who knows. Anyway, Jesus gets into the parable of the Lost Sheep. This parable is about how a shepherd loses one sheep, and goes no matter what to get that one sheep back. I perceived this as we are the sheep. And, with us being the sheep God is the shepherd. If you're lost so deep in sin, God will still come after you and try to pull you out so you can be in heaven. This amazes me because how Jesus explains this is in a more realistic standpoint. The Shepherd, or God would go over mountains and dangerous streams just to get the one sheep or sinner, which is us. What's even more crazy to me is that Jesus says that the shepherd puts the sheep on his shoulders and goes home Joyfully. I think that thats saying God has alot of patience with us, because honestly if I was that shepherd I would've been pissed and probably try to discipline the sheep or what not. But the fact that the shepherd or God is happy to have us back, is saying that he really truly does love us, and would do anything to get us back.

The second part says how the shepherd will rejoice because he found his sheep. Really? Rejoice and party over one lost sheep? Yet Jesus then says that that is how God acts when he gets us back from sin. Jesus even says that God would prefer one sinner who repents over 99 righteous people. This is also where Reckless Love got it's verse, "Leaves the 99". That really puts into perspective how loving God is and how much he really does care for us. He would rather prefer one sinner, a terrible sinner BUT he still repents over 99 holy, righteous people, who look pleasing to everyone but God. I think that's because in reality no one is perfect/righteous but God. Still is insane that God would go to the ends of the Earth to find us and let us be saved by his grace.

Prayer Requests: I've actually been doing really well in school now after last weeks mess up, but I just want to pray that God will not let me lose focus and I can just stay on track.
Pray for the church and families
Just let God make us not too stressed so we can function throughout the week
View user profile

on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:30 am
10/26/18
Romans 5:1-11 - Peace and Hope

Although the entire chapter isn't that long, I decided to only focus on the first section of Romans 5. The first half was heavy and required multiple reads to fully understand it, so I wanted to make sure I had a full understanding before moving on.
This section also focused on how we were able to access faith and salvation only through the grace of God. However, unlike the other chapters, this focused more on how specifically we could change the way we think to live in a way that is aligned to the earlier chapters. The verses that really stood out to me were verses 3-5, which said, "Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; character, hope, And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us". These stuck out to me because I felt that I could relate to them and shape my thinking around these verses. It was a good reminder that the suffering I go through should ultimately be to bring glory to God. I shouldn't be sitting in anger and remorse for myself, but instead realize that this is an opportunity to learn and change how I live. This also reminded me of chapter 53 from Leadership Axioms, which was about taking the grain of truth from everything that people say. Although it may be difficult, I need to learn to look at my struggles as a way that I can grow and to persevere in a way that is pleasing to God. In this way, I can grow in my character and in my hope. Paul goes on to justify that we are given the chance to think this because God has died for us, even though we were unrighteous. He was able to show his love to us sinners by dying for us and taking our sins with him. Because we have received reconciliation from the grace of God, we should boast in God and his righteousness. It's a blessing that I think I've taken for granted for too long, and I definitely didn't boast in the Lord. If he was willing to die for us when we were his enemies, then the love and mercy of God is truly endless when we turn to him and follow his word.

Prayer Requests:
- School has been really rough lately.. Please pray that I can stay focused and motivated in my studies
- To be able to keep God in the center of our lives and boast in him
- To keep people healthy as it gets colder

Song: Where Would We Be
"Where would we be without Your love
We'd still be lost in darkness
Where would we be without Your cross
You made a way to save us"

View user profile

on Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:59 am

I decided to go to psalms 25 because i needed a path on what to do right now. I’m going through a time where I messed up and needed some help on how to get through it. Psalms 4-5 says, “Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” As I am going through this time, I am needed to rely my entire strength upon God and God alone. He is the only person whom can provide me comfort and love me unconditionally.
During a time of things around me that are not going as planned, I tend to not always set my eyes upon him. However, that needs to change if I want a change in my life. If I want to help others around me, it starts with myself. Even though I may struggle throughout this, I know that God is always by my side and that He will never leave me.
Throughout schooling right now, it has been a bit of a tough time as everything surrounding me is not always Christ related and everything around me is mainly worldly desires and just actions. Even though I struggle, I know God is always by my side and that He has a straight path for me as well. I know I’m not perfect nor will I ever come close, however, I know it is beneficial for me to just show the love of Jesus Christ throughout everything I do.
Prayer Request
- Showing God’s love
- Always relying on him
View user profile

on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 am
Romans 5 - The Reckless Love of God

If you truly believe in God’s love and the gospel, can you give up your whole life and follow him like his disciples did? As sinners, I feel like this is the hardest or one of the hardest questions to answer honestly. This question usually changes to “How much do I need to give to be with God” or “Is this enough for me to be with God”. As broken people we have too greed, desires, temptations, and pride to give up everything. Even now as a you group teacher I struggle to start my day with God, I keep pushing back until I finish everything I need to do first before I make time for my devotionals. Romans 5:6-8 “For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Even though we’re weak and full of brokenness, Christ still died on the cross for us to eternal life. God didn’t gain anything for sending his son to die for us on cross, he didn’t have to do it but he did because thats how great his love is. Even good person wouldn’t die for someone else without hesitation or without some sort of gain. Especially if that person is a total stranger to the good person, this kind of describes God’s love as reckless. The chorus of the song Reckless Love by Corey Asbury really hits home with this message about God’s ultimate love. “Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah”. His love is overwhelming and never-ending the reckless love of God. He’ll chase me down and fights to til I’m found, leaving the ninety-nine to find the one and the one is us. For how great his love is we don’t deserve it but he still gives himself away. God’s love is not reckless because he’s careless, its reckless because he’ll do anything and will search until he find his children. Romans 5:1-2 “Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we[a] have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith[b] into this grace in which we stand, and we[c] rejoice[d] in hope of the glory of God.” God has given up everything including his son to save us but its so hard for us to give up five minutes of our time for him. This was a good wake up call for me especially to change the way I should start my day. I’m going to start my day with my devotionals instead of pushing it to the last thing I do before bed.

Prayer Requests
- To stay committed to the my morning devotionals
- For my faith not to be shaken through times of hardship and struggle
- For my heath

Song of the Day
- Reckless Love by Corey Asbury
View user profile

on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:27 pm
10/26/18
Romans 5:12-21 - Death Through Adam, Life Through Christ

The beginning of this next section talks about how sin entered the lives of everyone through the mistake of one man. It then goes on to compare the permeation of God's gift of grace versus the trespass of sin. Verse 15 says, "But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of one man, how much more did God's grace and gift that came by the grace of one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to many!". I felt that this verse was a good way to sum up the entire section, and it gave me a sense of hope to contrast the rather bleak intro. So far throughout Romans, I've been constantly reminded that God's grace and mercy is what triumphs through all darkness, and is ultimately what brought us out of our sins. All of the chapters present this idea of, if God can overcome these struggles for my sake, then I should be willing to live my life in thanksgiving. Although it may feel as if darkness is everywhere in the world, God's gift is greater than the trespasses of one man. While the trespass led to condemnation of all men, we were saved from eternal hell through God's gift which touched all people. The last paragraph also answers a question that I've had for long time: why does the law exist if following it won't necessarily save us? Although I technically know the answer, there was really nothing to clarify what I thought was the answer. Verse 20 says, "The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more.". I think this verse gave me a clearer answer than any of the other answers I've read. I realized that by implementing the law, the sins of man would increase. However, with this increase of sin, God's grace and mercy could shine through brighter than if there was no law that was put in place to clearly state what is sin and what is not. The law was brought in with the end goal of glorifying God, and I think that we should follow it with that mindset. I need to learn to follow laws with the mentality that I am glorifying God, and even when I stray from the law, I should use it as an opportunity to see God's grace working in my life.

Prayer Requests:
- to evaluate my heart and keep my feelings in check (in a way that is not destructive to others)
- serve the law not just to do it, but to glorify God
- my mental state is a little bit of a mess because of the upcoming ACT.. Please pray for focus and that I can calm down and actually sleep tonight

Song: Come as You Are
"Lay down your burdens
Lay down your shame
All who are broken
Lift up your face
O wanderer, come home you're not too far
So lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
Come as you are"
I've been listening to this song throughout the week because this week has been one that has been mentally hard to endure. The chorus is something that really struck meaning for me because there are times I feel I am not adequate to serve others, let alone serve God, in the mental state I'm in. The chorus made me think of something that Daniel would always say: God chooses those who are broken to serve, so you should give your everything for him. The chorus of this song really reminded me that God has called me for a reason, and that I should not be ashamed of my burdens. Instead, I should ask him for the strength to endure this and find a way to grow in him.

View user profile

Parable of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:38 am
Matthew 13:44-46
Parable of the Hidden Treasure and Pearl

In this parable, Jesus is once again describing the kingdom of heaven by comparing it to certain items. In the previous parables, Jesus has compared the kingdom to a sower, mustard seed, yeast, etc., and for this parable he uses a hidden treasure and a pearl. The reason he uses a treasure and a pearl to depict himself is because both items are both extremely valuable, and they can't be replaced by any other object in this world. In addition, once we are able to find the hidden treasure or the pearl, our desire for other things goes down and we are willing to give up everything just so that we can possess them. In the same way, the kingdom of God has so much more value than any other worldly object, and once we discover what the kingdom is like, we should be willing to toss away all our earthly possessions if that means we can have God in our lives. One interesting thing to point out is that once the men found the hidden treasure and the pearl, they stopped searching for additional treasures and pearls. Likewise, once we are able to accept God into our lives, there is no need to pursue other forms of earthly pleasures because God alone is sufficient for us for the rest of out lives.
Although Jesus is implying that being able to find the hidden treasure and pearl is a great thing for us, it is not an easy task to do. This is because a treasure and pearl are extremely rare and hard to find. As a result, it is very easy for us humans to miss and look past these hidden objects. Similarly, it is very easy for us to not be able to recognize God since we cannot see or hear him. Only when we have the desire to open up our eyes and hearts for God will we be able to locate God, the most valuable treasure there is. I feel like for me, I know that there is a treasure that is hidden out there, but I have not been able to find it yet. I need to ask God to open up my eyes and become more spiritually strong so that I can have the ability to encounter him and fully accept him into my life.

Prayer Requests:
-that I will be able to soon enough find the "hidden treasure" so that I can be fully satisfied and pleased
-with college application deadlines coming up, pray that for this week I will be diligent and hardworking

Song/Lyrics:
Worthy of Your Name - Sean Curran
Lyrics:
You're my author, my maker
My ransom, my Savior
My refuge, my hiding place
You're my helper, my healer
My blessed redeemer
My answer, my saving grace
You're my hope, in the shadows
My strength, in the battle
My anchor, for all my days
And You stand, by my side
And You stood, in my place
Jesus, no other name
No, only Jesus, no other name
In this section of the song it uses 14 different adjectives to describe Jesus. Just listening to these lyrics is very comforting to me, and it reminds me of how great and loving the Lord is to me. Even more favorite object and person does not fit with half of these adjectives, which reminds me of the importance of God in my life.
View user profile

Luke 15: 8-10

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:03 am
This is kind of a short passage, but I still thinks is tells us a important message. This parable is almost the same message as the one with the lost sheep, yet it is with coins. I think that we can really relate top this because all of us here don't have alot of money, and that what this woman is experiencing is what we also experience every now and then. She also loses one silver coin, which is about a day's wages during the time. If I was her, I would be mad if I lost a day's wage which today is like 50 dollars with minimum wage, I think. Jesus definitely included this detail to show how important this woman's silver coins are because if it was something of lesser value, it wouldn't really connect with the audience since it's just something cheap and not a day's wages. However, the woman finds her silver coin and rejoices with her friends. I think that she uses this lost silver coin and uses it to rejoice with her friends that she found her lost silver coin. I think with that Jesus is telling us to make the most of what we have at the moment, and that we should just be happy with what we have. After telling the parable, Jesus tell's how the angels rejoice over one sinner who repents. Jesus tells us how we are only worth just a day's wages to God, and how we really aren't worth too much. But still God loves us and takes us worthless sinners in and even rejoices with the angels over us. I think this shows God's love to us and how even when we are worthless, we have a father that would search the whole world to find us, a old silver coin.

Prayer Requests
- School still, I want to be more responsible with my time and just be able to be more efficient with it.
- Family, we recently got our other dog back in the house and I just pray that we wont run into any problems with Penny
- Church, that we can just grow more spiritually and that we can really apply our messages into everyday lives.
View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:18 pm
Matthew 17:1-21 Jesus Heals a Demon-Possessed Boy

Summary: A Man brings his demon-possessed son to Jesus because the disciples couldn’t cast out the demons. Jesus seems to get upset by this as he says, “‘You unbelieving and perverse generation... How long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me” (v.17). Then the disciples ask why they couldn’t cast out the demons and Jesus respond by says that they have so little faith. “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you”

Application: It is crazy and almost dumb how fast the disciples can forget things and I don’t think we are any different. Right before this, the disciples were shown a sign for the heavens that Jesus was the Messiah. Like how can you not have even more faith after this and all the miracles that they have seen? We also forget a lot of the miracles that have happened in our lives. There is something called “blind faith” that I read in the book The Cost of Discipleship. It talked about how sometimes your heart won’t be in the right place and willing to serve God. A perfect example of this is the months after a retreat, where the spiritual high wears off. However, we should be serving God with blind faith and preserver to do his will as Christians. This is something that takes a lot of discipline and something that we can all work on.

Prayer Request:
Remember how good God is and all the miracles that he has done for us
Server God even when we don’t feel like it and do these devotionals
Pray for the Lock-in, that it may go well and smoothly
Pray for Winter retreat

Meaning Lyrics:
“I only want to sing
If I sing with everything
If I sing for You my King”

View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:32 pm
Proverbs 11
As I was reading this chapter, I concluded that the overarching theme or main idea was that the righteous would be blessed, and the wicked would be punished. Most of the verses seemed to describe two things: one way that the righteous would act and their reward, and another way that the ungodly/sinner would act and their punishment. There were many different verses following this format so it was difficult to fully digest each idea individually, but there were a couple key ideas that caught my attention. Verse 6 says, "The righteousness of the upright delivers them, but the unfaithful are trapped by evil desires". I interpreted this as saying that through a lifestyle that is in accordance with God's callings, a person can be saved and provided salvation in heaven. However if you allow yourself to fall into the allure of earthly, evil desires, you will not be able to enjoy this salvation, but instead be enslaved by these temptations. In the context of my own life, I recognize that these desires have taken control of my mind and heart many times in the past. These temptations primarily included laziness, greed, and lust, which have been the most difficult to overcome especially at times when I'm physically and mentally exhausted. However, this verse reminds me that in order to be saved, I must keep walking in righteousness, meaning that I should reject these secular and wicked temptations so that my focus doesn't deviate from the path that God called me to. Another verse that stuck out to me was verse 20 which says, "The LORD detests those whose hearts are perverse, but delights in those whose ways are blameless". Although the general idea of this verse is very similar to the previous one, a distinction that can be seen is the inclusion of the "heart". This is important because it introduces the idea that an individual's intentions should also be pure in what they do, not only the actions or words that they outwardly express. Again, this is a problem for me as I have a hard time controlling these underlying intentions in my heart and find that they frequently fall away from purity. For this reason I decided to condition my heart and mind to be solely focused on godly, righteous things rather than things that are wicked. This contributes to my pursuit of personifying the image of Jesus to the best of my ability, and living out a life that is as blameless as possible.

Prayer Requests:
- To keep my actions and heart righteous and far from the temptations of sin.
- To continue to live a life and walk in a path that is blameless and exemplifies God's character

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:13 pm
Today's devo is on Radical chapter one, honing in on Luke 9 and taking Jesus' call to abandon everything. David Platt's point in chapter one is the fact that Jesus did not exclusively call us to admit, believe, confess, and to say a prayer. Rather, Christ has called us to pick up an instrument of torture and to follow him. Platt continues to share the fact that we so often rationalize the radical gospel and to say that Jesus didnt really ask us to follow him literally, etc. We cannot have our own american dream spin on Christianity, and creating our very own Jesus for our very own comfort.

We have to seriously consider the cost of following Christ. He demands radical obedience. He calls us to die to ourselves, die to our very own ambitions and to live for Him. This is a call that isn't very comfortable nor is it easy. But it's worth it. In the pinnacle of God's glory it is worth it. Romans 8:18 states, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." The present sufferings of today is not worth comparing with the glory that will be fully revealed to us. I questioned myself and my faith journey this afternoon. Who am I following? Who am I living a life for? Is it for myself or is it for Jesus and Jesus alone? Often times we want a comfortable life and we position Jesus in our lives to be some sort of cheerleader. That he would benefit us, and that we can just reap the benefits and crop out the uncomfortable commands that he calls us to do.
Throughout our study of the Gospel, I earnestly pray for us that we can have a better glimpse of who God is. That we can come to a sharper, clearer understanding of who God is and what He ultimately means to us. We must commit to knowing Him, and there's definitely no plan B. There is no other alternative, no other plan outside of God. There is no life, no future, no satisfaction without Him.
When we consider the 'Cost of Discipleship', there really isn't a cost. It is more costly not to follow Christ, for everything in this world is fleeting.

A very wise American missionary (Jim Elliot) once said this, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
What am I grasping onto today? Is it Christ and all the riches of His glory? Or is it myself?

Please continue to pray for me and our youth group for us to flourish in faith. Nothing more I can ask you guys but to join with me in prayer for a better understanding of God.
View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:18 pm
Matthew 18:14-16 The Parable of the Wandering Sheep

Summary: This is the parable of where Jesus talks about the one sheep who wanders away from the ninety-nine sheep. Jesus is saying that the shepherd would be happier if he found the one sheep who wandered off rather than keeping the ninety-nine.

Application: I still think this is crazy to think about. It’s crazy how much God loves us. Jesus is saying that He would be happier if were to wander off and come back to him, rather than keeping the other Christians. Like logically it doesn’t make sense but that just goes to show how crazy in love God is for us. I think this is such an important passage that we should be constantly reminded of. God, the creator of the universe and everything that you see, including yourself, loves you so much to the point where it doesn’t make any sense. Jesus also in this and the passage before talks about children and how they are the angels of heaven. I don’t think that our church does a very good job taking care of the children. We are the children of God and I don’t think that roasting each other or swearing at each other can be considered taking care of His children. Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lonely position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me” (v.2-5). I don’t fully comprehend what he means when he says to become like the little children, but I do know that it means to not roast each other, but take care of each other.

Prayer Requests:
Be more mindful of each other and treat each other as a genuine family-friend member
Continue to be consistent with our devotionals
Pray for the Lock-in, that it may go well and smoothly
Pray for Winter retreat

Meaningful Lyrics:
“Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God
Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine
I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away
Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah”

View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:46 pm
Proverbs 13
The format for this chapter is similar to the previous one (many of the chapters in Proverbs have this basic structure), but a reoccurring idea that made it distinct from the preceding chapter is hunger, and the difference between the hunger of the righteous and the wicked. In the second verse it says while the righteous enjoy the "fruit of their lips", the unfaithful are hungry for violence; and the fourth verse talks about how the appetite of sluggard is not satisfied, while the desires of the diligent are. This idea of hunger represents a universal desire/temptation that can apply to any individual. Using this feeling of hunger as a reference, this chapter compares it to other ideas in order to allow us to better understand its meaning. I interpreted the second verse as teaching that the righteous will have their hunger satisfied for the "fruitful" things that they say (meaning words that are wise, kind, etc). This reminded me to recognize the power in my words and be careful to have them be righteous and fruitful words. Although I might be tempted to say a certain joke or remark that might be comical to some people, I should determine whether what I say would dissatisfy God. In verse 4 it mentions the unsatisfied appetite of a sluggard. Laziness is an issue that is becoming increasingly prominent in my life and hindering many of the goals I have set in mind whether they be spiritual or worldly. This verse pressures me to abandon my current lazy lifestyle to adopt one that is more hardworking and wise, which is mentioned in the second half of the verse when it talks about how the desires of the diligent are always satisfied. I'm encouraged to take the initiative in my life to improve upon myself spiritually, and less importantly mentally and physically as well.

Prayer Requests:
- To have my words be always righteous and fruitful
- For God to provide me with the motivation and strength to resist my laziness and be diligent in my pursuit to improve my spiritual life and achieve my goals.

Last edited by Ethanseo on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:05 pm
Matthew 17
So I’m continuing my way through Matthew:)
There are four different sections in Matthew 17, and I really liked the one about Jesus healing a demon-possessed boy. I think God was trying to to tell me this whole week that I need to progress my faith. First, He told me this through Pastor James’ sermon last Sunday on renewing our minds and being more like Christ by letting our faith grow. Second, all the KLOVE verses I received through email this week were all about faith. Monday: Fight the good fight for the true faith. Hold tightly to the eternal life to which God has called you, which you have confessed so well before many witnesses(1 Timothy 6:12). Tuesday: For we live by believing and not by seeing(2 Corinthians 5:7). Thursday: So faith comes from hearing, that is, hearing the Good News about Christ(Romans 10:17). Friday: And you must show mercy to those whose faith is wavering(Jude 1:22). Today: And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God(1 John 5:5).
The passage talks about how the people had no faith whatsoever even after all the miracles Jesus has performed. He rebuked them including the disciples, because the disciples did not have enough faith to heal the possessed boy. Verse 20 was basic, but I really needed this reminder: He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘’Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” I think this verse provides me strength and energy. Whenever I worry or fret about things, I’m going to read this verse because I know it will help me. Reading His word has been helping me more in school with being patient to those people who annoy me. It has also been helping me to not stress so much about ACT, my future and more. I need to thank God more often for His word and how it has given me strength and hope.
Prayer requests:
-Keep praying for my faith pleaseeee and that it grows and progresses as I get older and older Smile)))
-Find a better balance between school and God
-Be a better role model for Jayden Smile

The song I sang in my head while reading this passage:
Nothing is Impossible(Planetshakers)
Through you I can do anything
I can do all things
Cause it’s you who gives me strength
Through you
Blind eyes are opened
Strongholds are broken
I am living by faith
Nothing is impossible!

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:41 pm
Deuteronomy 31:6 and 8
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
“The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

This passage really caught my eye because it talks about how you should not fear or have doubt of anything in this world for God is there and he will not leave us. It says God goes with us and that tells us no matter what situation we we are in he is there spiritually with us and we cannot forget that. He will not abandon you in any situation and will not discourage you in whatever you do.

Prayer requests:
- Please pray for my spiritual place in my life

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

Parable of the Net

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:49 pm
Matthew 13: 47-52
Parable of the Net

The message of this parable is very simple and straightforward. This parable describes the kingdom of heaven as a fisherman who takes his net and catches an abundance of fish. However not all of the fish are good fish, and so only the good ones are kept by the fisherman while the rest are discarded and thrown back into the waters. The separation of the good fish and the bad fish is symbolic because it describes how judgment day will be like for us. The fisherman represents God, the fish represent us humans, the waters represent the sinful world, and the land represents heaven. As fish, we are constantly in the waters, and there is no way to escape the sinful world unless God uses his net to drag us out of the waters and onto the land. Through this we are able to have access to heaven and eternal life. But if live lives that are not pleasing to God's eyes, he can easily just throw us back into the waters and deny us access to his kingdom. From this parable I learned the harshness God displays when he is judging. The way he judges us is black and white - there is no partially being accepted by God. In order for us to have eternal life we need to go all out so that God can view us as good fish.
Prayer Requests:
-pray that I can learn to live for God and only God so that I can be granted eternal life
-pray that next week's lock-in will truly be a blessing time for our youth group, whether it's through worshiping or having fellowship
-continue to pray for my diligence as college apps are due next Thursday
Song/Lyrics:
Jesus I Need You - Hillsong Worship
Lyrics:
Jesus I need You
Every moment I need You
Hear now this grace bought heart sing out
Your praise forever

View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:23 pm

Psalms 30. This passage really stood out to me because I really do have a hard time not being extremely hard on myself. Not only only do I have a hard time of that, but I also have a hard time with others around me always taking advantage and really using me in times. Even through everything I do, I know that God is always by my side, and He will always lift me up. “I will exalt you, Lord, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. Lord my God, I called to you for help, and you healed me. You, Lord, brought me up from the realm of the dead; you spared me from going down to the pit.” Psalms 30 (1-3). During these times of myself going through a rough patch, it gets a lot harder for me to not want to care about what God has to say to me. However, I came to the realization that I need him. Not only do I need him, however, He loves me and always has been there for me.
In my past devotional, I tend to say this same thing, however, this week has been a rough one. Things around me did not always end up going the way on which I thought was going to pan out. I did not expect myself to have such a hard time especially with the things around me going the way in which it did. Even through that, it helped to see everyone around me always caring about me. God always having a way for me to grow and really help me through this time. Physically I may be fine on the outside, however, in the inside, I am quite upset with a lot of things around me. Then I realized, when has God ever failed to give me comfort? When has he ever left me to battle these battles on my own? I’ve never been battling these fights or fears on my own, but I’ve always been with someone next to me. Someone always on my side looking at me saying, “You are my child, and I love you”. Knowing that He has never and will never leave me in whatever circumstance I am going through.
- Prayer Request
- That I may be able to not be closed off these upcoming days
- I may be able to have a healthy relationship with others around me
View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:56 pm
Romans 6 - Slaves to Righteousness

In Romans 6, a verse that stood out to me was verse 15-18 “Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves,[a] you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed,  and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.” Its really straight forward in saying because of God’s great sacrifice for us we were saved from sin. A lot of the the times its easy for us to forget the suffering and pain Christ went through for us to have eternal life. I feel we confuse the difference between knowing we are saved and living our lives as saved people. Yes, we were saved but just knowing it is not a one way ticket to heaven after our life on earth is over. You have live it out like how Christ went around sharing the gospel. Becoming a youth group teacher really opened my eyes on how God’s love and the gospel works. God’s love is not a self thing its a open ended love no matter who you are or where you came from its all open to you. Its easy for us to just grow within ourselves and yes that good to do but if you follow the journey Jesus Christ had before his crucification, his love for others showed no end or exclusion. We need to grow on our own but through that growth we serve and grow the kingdom of God. This is what it means to be a slave to righteousness and I believe in need to reflect on my life to try to live my life like how Jesus Christ did. I struggle with anxiety, I have a hard time speaking in front of people, and struggle with real self confidence. I get too scared to share the gospel because I’m scared to see the reaction or think about the thoughts the person I’m sharing with has. But this chapter reassured my doubt about this because in the end no matter what God’s love and gospel will trump anything because its the truth.

Prayer Requests
- To live my with the purpose to serve God
- To not be sacred or anxious to share the Gospel with others
- My heath…

Song of the Day
- How Great Is Your Love By Passion
View user profile

Parable of the Unmerciful Servant

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:03 pm
Matthew 18: 21-35
Parable of the Unmerciful Servant

In this passage, Jesus is trying to teach his disciples how true forgiveness should look like. In order to do so, he tells a parable about a man who was in a heap of debt. The man owed his master around ten thousand bags of gold, which in today's money is about a few million dollars. Basically, this man was screwed for his life since there was no way that this man was gonna fully pay off this debt in his lifetime. This man is just like us, since through our sin we have infinite debt we owe to God, and it is impossible for us to fully repay for all the ways he disobeyed God. However the master decided to cancel the few million dollar debt just like that, without requiring the man to do an ounce of work. In the same way, Jesus died on the cross for us so that our sins could be washed away, and the best part is is that we didn't have to do anything to earn his forgiveness.
Even though what Jesus did for us on the cross saved our lives, we often times take for granted how much Jesus did for us. A lot of us are like the same man who was relieved of 2 million dollars, but then can't forgive another guy for not being able to pay just 100 denarii (16 dollars). Even when others commit the smallest offenses towards us, we tend to have the desire to get revenge and punish whoever committed the offense. However if we truly love Jesus and are grateful for his forgiveness, then forgiving someone of something that is less significant than what we have done to Him for thousands of years should be nothing. Just like how Jesus forgives us unconditionally, he wants us to forgive others no matter what they do to us, because through that we are showing appreciation for him dying on the cross.

One interesting to point out: When Jesus says we should forgive others "seventy seven (70 * 7) times," this might just seem like a random number to us. However the number 490 (70 * 7) is extremely significant. This is because in Hebrew, the number 490 is represented by the word "tamim," and this word means to be perfect and complete. So when Jesus tells us to forgive 70 * 7 times, he is basically telling us to forgive so much to the point where our hearts will become nearly perfect, and he is saying that until we learn to forgive unconditionally, our hearts will not be complete.

Song/Lyrics:
Resurrecting Power - Chris Tomlin
Lyrics:
Now I have resurrection power
Living on the inside
Jesus, You have given us freedom
No longer bound by sin and darkness
Living in the light of Your goodness
You have given us freedom

View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:31 pm
Proverbs 13
This chapter of Proverbs follows the same format mentioned for the previous chapters so I'll point out some of the key ideas that I took away from it. The idea of the fear of the LORD was reintroduced, and the chapter stresses its importance. In the second verse it describes God fearing people as those who walk uprightly, but those who hate Him as people devious in their ways. I interpreted walking "uprightly" as meaning being an individual of integrity and following closely alongside God and his teachings. This provides a clear distinction between the two opposite ends of the spectrum; either a person fears God or they hate Him. There is no "gray-area" with this, which demonstrates the importance of fearing or respecting God. You are either with God or with the devil. In verse 18 it says that the wise fear God and shun evil while a fool is hotheaded but feels secure. This presents an interesting perspective; while the hotheaded fool portrayed as not walking alongside God, he is misead by his false sense of security. I wondered whether I was being that fool in some instances, believing in the strength of my relationship with God while worshipping a false image of Him that was constructed in my mind. But the solution to this presented in the verse is fearing God, which allows us to humble ourselves before him and unconditionally rely on His word and power. This idea is expanded on in verse 27 which comparing fearing the LORD to a "fountain of life" which is described to save a person from death's trap. Additionally, verse 26 describes a person who fears the LORD as one who has a secure fortress, which their children will be able to find refuge in. Not only is the fear of God key to salvation and identifying as a Christian, but also as a means of true security against evil for themselves and their children. For myself, the takeaway for this is not only to continue practicing fearing the LORD, but regarding this reverence as the only true and unchanging security, and the only thing that I can unconditionally rely on.

Prayer Requests:
- To have more reliance and respect/fear for God
- To never be fully satisfied with my relationship with God
- The ability for me to lead my sisters towards the path of righteousness

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:52 pm
10/27/18
Radical Chapter 1 - Someone Worth Losing Everything For

Instead of Romans, I'll be focusing today's devotional on Radical chapter 1. Personally, I really liked the change that this brought and found that reading this supplemented my previous and future devotionals with more current day applications. Although there were multiple sub-themes throughout the chapter, the main idea was based around the question: are we living for our comfortable version of God, or are we willing to give up everything to take up the cross and follow him? The chapter calls for us to evaluate our heart and ask ourselves if we're really serving God or if we are simply serving ourselves. Are we ready to follow him at any moment's notice? Are we willing to experience sacrifice and struggles?
In this chapter, David Platt specifically calls attention to how the majority of the Christians living today are ones that aren't risking their lives to follow God. This is not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but it causes us to become too comfortable in where we are and lose sight of what God really means to us. We contort our image of God to one that best suits our need, when God calls us to do the opposite. We should follow HIM and not have him follow US.
The chapter caused me to question if I was really serving the true God or just worshiping myself. Are my true intentions to actually glorify God? The chapter was particularly impactful to me because it not only made me question, but also pushed for action. My mind tends to wander for hours about one topic, and this chapter gave me something to think about and reflect on for the night. However, because I'm really lazy, thoughts are about as far as my motivation goes. I stop at the point where I think to myself, oh I need to change, but I never get to actually doing it in person. The last section of the chapter is a total call out to people who are the same as me. He says, "you need to commit tot obey what you have heard. The gospel does not prompt you to mere reflection; the gospel requires a response". This made me realize that even if I may understand that I need to change, I'm not actually successful in following God until I change my own life to follow him.

Prayer Requests:
- to find the motivation to move beyond thoughts and into actions
- to not push my devos off to the last 3 days
- to fix my terrible sleep schedule
View user profile

on Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 am
Just read radical chapter one and it reminded me of something my old pastor said once during a sermon. He went on missions and he talked to pastors and missionaries from around the world and his eyes was opened up by just how much Christians in the modern day world were being prosecuted and killed for their beliefs. One thing that stood out to me from that sermon was when he asked how different their church was from the ones we had in America. One of the pastors said that their church wasn't different, it was ours that was different. This suck with me because as a kid, church is where you come during the weekends and hang out with you friends to play basketball or do other stuff after service, it was never a place where I risk dying or being persecuted to go to. However, the words from the radical book became so real, where the church was always persecuted in the past but we have made our own images in what a church should look like. We made Jesus seem like someone we can go to for comfort so that we can get that girl or get the grades we want because we think we won't be able to live without it and if we only think so much about that, I can't even imagine myself giving up everything for Christ. Its always such a blessing to hear about these stories where missionaries and pastors doing great things around the world for Christianity and all the bad things that happen to christians where they are being persecuted but will I be able to make the same sacrifice. In the end this also connects with the leadership axiom chapter 7 where it talks about Paul's vision to go to Jerusalem and spread the word even though it meant certain death. As someone who considers Paul as his favorite person in the bible, it really is exciting to see what kind of vision that I may receive from Christ and what I will have to sacrifice, but in the end it is all about him. In all this, I do fear that I will be unable to make this sacrifice as I probably won;t be able to do at this point in my life but hopefully God will lead the way and give me the vision and faith for me to serve him.

Prayer Requests:
-To always understand that our lives should be lived for Jesus and not us
-To be more on top of the devotionals, I kinda got lazy this week
-School, Church, Family, Friends as always
View user profile

on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:43 am
John 10:1-21

John 10, I think is my new favorite chapter in the Bible because it’s very powerful. Jesus compares him as the gate of which the sheeps are fenced around and the shepherd. In verse 1 he says, “... the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber.” Continued in verse 2, “The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep.” When Jesus says “but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber,” I think of Jeremiah 23 because God rebukes the Pharisees due to their unworthy actions. Jeremiah 23:3-4 states I myself will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries where I have driven them and will bring them back to their pasture, where they will be fruitful and increase in number,” verse 4, “I will place a shepherd over them who will tend them, and they will no longer be terrified, nor be missing.” When the Lord proclaims that he will bring a shepherd to tend “them”, that shepherd, obviously, is Jesus. Following what the Father said, Jesus in John 10:11 says, “I am the good shepherd.” These few verses, helped me progress through the week because whenever a problem or a hardship came upon me, I knew that the Father Almighty was my shepherd, watching over me.

Prayer Request
- To love one another
- To live for God
- School

Song
- Great Are You Lord
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum