Go down
Admin
View user profilehttp://ccyg.forumotion.com

January 6th to 12th (Suggested Passage: Psalm 22)

on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:07 pm
This week's reading will just be on Radical chapter 6 - don't worry about Leadership Axioms as of this week. Happy studying for exams and I pray and hope that we can prioritize devos in the midst of our business

1. Pray. Ask God to reveal Himself onto you through Scripture. Ask God to give you an appetite for his Word (Just like how we always pray before we eat - you are essentially praying before you eat spiritually
2. Read maybe 2-3 times
3. Interpret the passage, see what verses, terms, and key phrases stick out to you.
4. See how you can apply the passage - knowledge is amazing, and to know God is essentially our focus. Even better if you can find ways to apply it.
5. Share your prayer requests. Seriously. Everyone is able to read what you flesh out and we are a Church that will pray on your behalf - also an opportunity for you to pray for others as well.
-You can always share praise songs that has spoken to you as well, maybe throughout your devotional/quiet time.
6. Pray to end off your devo, trust God that He is working through this initiative.

Suggested Passage is Psalm 22
View user profile

Re: January 6th to 12th (Suggested Passage: Psalm 22)

on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:45 pm
1 Peter 4:8
“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.”
I found this verse especially appealing to me because lately, I have found it very hard to love everyone around me. And if i’m being honest, people that are kind of close to me. I know that I do love them, but sometimes, I find it hard to because of their actions. Whether they are intentional or not. I have noticed that I should not have a bad heart towards these people because it is in fact them who need to be shown more love so they can spread love, but for some reason, I go back to disliking them and judging them based on what they do. There will always be people who will act out in ways I don’t like, but I have to learn to turn the other cheek and just continue to spread love because that is what God would want to see in his children. Love over rules all.

Prayer requests:
- For me to look at God’s amazing love as an example on how I should act towards others
- For me to make time for devos and studying
- For my brothers Ethan and Bo to be strong through all rough times and to be focused when it comes to everything, especially God
- For everyone to do fantastic on finals

Good luck with studying and finals everyone!!! You got this!!!!

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:23 am
Ephesians 1
In the next couple of devotionals I will be journeying through the book of Ephesians. This chapter starts off with a section with a heavy portion speaking on how we are made holy and blameless before God and predestined for this adoption as children through Jesus Christ (verses 4-5). This assurance of our position and identity as sons and daughters of God is a truth that was extremely comforting to hear. Being such a broken, flawed, sinful, and foolish creature by nature, the fact that God is willing to make the effort reach down for us to be made pure and righteous through His Son truly shows his reckless love. At the moment, I felt so blessed and loved to be provided with such grace when our rightful punishment was death and suffering apart from God. Even through difficult situations and trials, being reminded of God's grace is something that can humble us and reveal to us the depth of his neverending love and faith in these people who fall so far away from Him. The second section of this chapter describes how Paul is inspired by the faith and love of the people he is writing the letter to, and reveals His prayers that they would come to know God's immeasurable greatness and fullness (verses 15 , 19, 23). This prayer that Paul is shown to have prayed for these people is unique in that it doesn't relate to any sort of gain, assistance, thanksgiving, or any usual topics addressed in the prayers that we usually pray. Rather, it simply presents the wish that they would come to recognize and know the greatness and fullness of God. I realized that this is not a prayer that I normally give. Rather, I tend to focus on what God can bless me with or help with the ones closest to me or myself. However, these verses highlight the importance that a Christian would also come to simply appreciate how awesome God is and fulfilling He is in our lives. For this reason, I will aim to give this kind of prayer.

Prayer Requests:
- For God to allow myself and everyone else in the leadership team to truly know the extent of His love and greatness.
- For God to help everyone with finals coming up to not be anxious but to instead lift up our requests to our Father in thanksgiving.
- I pray that the members of my devo group would come to really grow closer to Him through the personal time being spent with God.
For me to not be consumed by my guilt or regret for the past but to learn from my faults and pursue a lifestyle that is righteous in God's eyes.

Last edited by Ethanseo on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user profile

on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:41 am
Read Exodus chapters 1-3 and it was about how the Israelites were enslaved by the Egyptians because the Pharaoh feared the rapid rising of population and had no choice to enslave them but also resort to killing all the newborn sons that they were having to stop them from having so many people. This lead to the Israelites being unhappy with being in Egypt after Joseph brought them to this land and wanted to leave and started to pray to God to ask to be freed from that land. I guess this specific part stood out to me because of the passage in Exodus 2:23-25, "During those many days the king of Egypt died, and the people of Israel groaned because of their slavery and cried out for help. Their cry for rescue from slavery came up to God. And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob. God saw the people of Israel—and God knew." I guess the part that stood out to me the most was the part that mentioned the covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and the promises that were made in before to all of these people. A lot of the times during prayer I find myself just dozing off thinking that prayer is very unnecessary and find it very hard to be focused on rather than thinking of other things. This passage reminds me that through all the prayer God was reminded of the promises he made and called on Moses in chapter 3 to answer these prayer. I think through all this I should understand the power of prayer and use it to be more understanding of God's plan and what he wants for me rather than using it to sleep.

Prayer Requests:
-To understand the importance and power of prayer
- I have been talking to someone and they feel as if they don't feel as welcomed back and very uncomfortable due to some things at our youth group, I guess to pray for more unity because they say how it feels foreign for them
-Nursing school applications
- My group mates Ethan and Ashley
-For all the ones taking finals
-For people going back to college that they will get back safely
View user profile

on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 pm
Ecclesiastes 1-2

I have just started reading the book of Ecclesiastes and the whole two chapters were just a shock to me. I thought I have read Ecclesiastes before but I don’t think I have paid much attention to what I was reading back then. The reading basically sums up to everything in this life, under the sun, is in vain because in greater scheme of things, nothing changes. The author, which could be assumed as Solomon (1:1), says the profit gained from one’s work and the accomplishments, the pleasures, and the worldly wisdom are meaningless, under the sun, since we all are a being who will die and our spirit will live eternally. One thing that surprised me the most was the author of think book since we know that Solomon was the wisest man, by the gift of God, and lived a life as a king of Israel and had thing abundantly. For him to search for meaning of life and be dissatisfied with things on earth, even his greatest asset, wisdom. He also mentions that because he has more knowledge, he is more sorrowful (1:16-18). There are many times when I enjoy moments of watching bunch of YouTube video and have some good laugh, be proud of what I have accomplished in school and in at church, but at the end of the day, I ask myself, “what am I doing with my life and what is the point of these?” A lot of times, I think I continue to roam through YouTube, anime lists, or social media to find something that will give me pleasure and for me to fill the void that I cannot fill.

Another portion that stood out to me was 1:13, when Solomon says, “What a heavy burned God has laid on mankind” because we always say no bad things come from God. One commentary I read said that “the seeming futility of life comes from God; He has given it to man. God has deliberately built a system where life seems meaningless and empty without the understanding of a living, active God to whom we must give account.” This is the evidence of God’s love and mercy and He had built the desire and need of God within us, so that we would know the meaning and fulfillment of life.

Reevaluating my spiritual life, although there have been moments when I was being fed and alive, at this moment, I think it is very dry, dead, and lukewarm for God. I do think that I have lost the meaning and the purpose of life and the work I am doing, or I am heading towards the wrong direction. I hope that I start reminding myself that the life I live now, here on earth is meaningless without God and it is “all for God/Jesus or nothing at all.”

Song: My Hope is Built/The Solid Rock by Norton Hall Band

Prayer requests:
-To keep reminding myself that everything is for the glory of God and that I would find my purpose in Him and let Him be by solid foundation. Also, to form personal relationship with God.
-Student teaching: still getting adjusted to the new sleeping schedule. The work-load now isn’t too big but after finals week, I will be start teaching some classes and I need to start prioritizing my time. I will be able to branch out and be the best I can and to be helpful, but at the same time, not beat myself for not doing well.
-For my brother, Eun Tak, who will be leaving soon. For him to prepare himself this week and to get well adjusted.
-For my group members (Sam, Eric, and Eun Tak) to be able to spend some time with God this week, despite the busy week.
-For students have finals next week.
-For the youth group and the leaders.

Commentary:
https://enduringword.com/bible-commentary/ecclesiastes-1/
https://enduringword.com/bible-commentary/ecclesiastes-2/
View user profile

on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:15 am
Today i read Exodus chapters 4-6 and something that stood out to me was actually the fear and lack of faith of Moses. I always viewed Moses based off the film of the Prince of Egypt and I guess actually reading about all this really changed my perspective. For example in Exodus 4:10-14 says, "But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.” Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.” But he said, “Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.” Then the anger of the Lord was kindled against Moses and he said, “Is there not Aaron, your brother, the Levite? I know that he can speak well. Behold, he is coming out to meet you, and when he sees you, he will be glad in his heart." here it shows the lack of faith from Moses because he was afraid to speak to the Pharaoh and asked God to have someone else talk for him. I thought this showed lack of faith because in most cases we expect an important character such as Moses to have an undying faith that God will provide.The second example was shown in Exodus 5:22-23 which says, "Then Moses turned to the Lord and said, “O Lord, why have you done evil to this people? Why did you ever send me? For since I came to Pharaoh to speak in your name, he has done evil to this people, and you have not delivered your people at all.” Here he asks why God has ever sent him and that the people were basically better off without him coming to Egypt because of their increased suffering. These two examples stuck out to me because even the best of us can fail and have a lack of faith. Sometimes I believe that I have such little faith and really is hard to believe in some of the things that I hear at church or read in the bible. However even a great person like Moses had his flaws and maybe through recognizing this, I can understand that God may one day use my flaws to serve him.

Prayer Requests:
-To really trust and rely on God more especially lately
-Nursing school applications
-My group mates Ethan and Ashley
-For all the ones taking finals
-For people going back to college that they will get back safely

Songs: Where the Love Lasts Forever, its just a really good song lol

View user profile

on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:08 pm
I want to finish the book of psalms through my personal devos this year. And to start from Psalm 1 to Psalm 150 would be just an amazing blessing that I seriously need.

Psalm 1 (verses 3 and 4)
"Blessed is the man.. whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers"

It has been increasingly difficult to sustain my own spiritual growth when I'm expected to be the one who feeds others. Today God revealed to the hypocrisy that I have when I'm always encouraging you guys to look into Scripture when its so difficult to look into it myself (apart from preparing sermons/bible studies/retreat prep/etc).

As of now, its been difficult to separate my identity as a pastor and as a Christian. It's hard to approach God with just a simple mindset of wanting to grow. My prayers consist of just simply praying for others and that'll be just it. But what I really need is to soak in Scripture, be 'planted by streams of living water'. I need God so much right now and just examining how my past weeks have been spiritually has just demonstrated the fact that I'm so broken without Him.
-It says in Psalm 1 that the one who meditates on Scripture prospers. But what does prospering mean in the context of prospering through Scripture? Or could it be all of life that he/she prospers in? But I think there's a great argument that could be said that the one who prospers spiritually, prospers in all areas of their life. If we were designed to know God and to delight in Him, we are fulfilling our calling by 'prospering' in knowing Him. And wouldn't it naturally follow that we prosper in all areas then?

Jeremiah 17 states incredibly similarly, "But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.”
"The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? “I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve.”

Especially through the midst of the brokenness that was exposed to us at the retreat, it is such a blessing to have a greater dependence on God. It is the sick who need a doctor and I feel as if God is exposing so many of my scars/wounds, so that I can live a life that is dependent on His grace.

Please pray that these devos can be refreshing for me, just wanna be honest and express that its just as hard for me as it is for you guys to spend time in Scripture and reflecting on it.
-I need prayer in greater self control. I feel as if I've never built good habits ever since I've come to Chicago... and its been a blessing to see that I'm still alive when my life is this chaotic LOL

A reflection masterpiece, especially related to the passage!
View user profile

on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:55 pm
Ecclesiastes 3
Reading through the next chapter was interesting since it starts out with, “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:…” Although everything under the sun were meaningless (from chapters 1 and 2), everything will happen at a certain time and for certain purpose under the heaven. In times there are beautiful things here in this life on Earth, because God has made everything beautiful in its time. However, there is darkness and evil in the same life on Earth. Even though there is evil, wickedness, and injustice in the world, all at the end, for God will serve justice and judge the righteous and the wicked. For this reason, we should enjoy and rejoice the beautiful life that God gave us as a gift. In the end, even though it was a short chapter, I had a really hard time trying to understand the overall message of the chapter. But I tried guys, haha. I really did.
In conclusion, I have learned that although I will live my best as I am, as I am called to be a student and be a good sister in Christ, I will remember that this life on earth is short and I should not worry about the smallest details but enjoy the life I have under God for there are seasons for everything.

Song: God be Praised/Our God Reigns by New Life Worship

Prayer Requests:
-For me to realize that there are seasons for everything. To be calm in the mist of chaos. To fix my eyes on Jesus.
-Student teaching: still getting adjusted to the new sleeping schedule. The work-load now isn’t too big but after finals week, I will be start teaching some classes and I need to start prioritizing my time. I will be able to branch out and be the best I can and to be helpful, but at the same time, not beat myself for not doing well.
-For my brother, Eun Tak, who will be leaving soon. For him to prepare himself this week and to get well adjusted.
-For my group members (Sam, Eric, and Eun Tak) to be able to spend some time with God this week, despite the busy week.
-For students who will have finals next week.
-For college students getting ready to leave and arrive safely.

Commentary:
https://enduringword.com/bible-commentary/ecclesiastes-3/
View user profile

John 3:1-14

on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 pm
This passage focuses on Jesus's response to a Pharisee's attempt to accuse Jesus for false teachings. The passage starts with a Pharisee teacher named Nicodemus. After Nicodemus praises him, Jesus tells him that no one can see the kingdom of heaven unless they are born again. Nicodemus obviously questions this, and Jesus tells him that we need to be reborn in the water and the spirit. He says that the flesh is born to flesh, but the spirit is born through the spirit. Jesus is telling us here that we need to be reborn in the spirit. I think that we can achieve this reincarnation of our spirit when we study Jesus' word today, or we have our spiritual highs or a time in our life when we realize we have been saved. An interesting point though that Jesus brings up is that those who have been saved, they don't really know or realize when it is they have been saved. He relates this spiritual rebirth with the wind, blowing in different directions and with no sound. We do not know yet if we have been spiritually reborn, and to ensure that we have been we should be praising God, studying the bible and focusing on him. After this, Nicodemus questions him again on how this can be possible, and Jesus then hardcore roasts him. Jesus tells him that he is Israel's teacher, and yet Nicodemus doesn't know what Jesus is talking about. He tells them how the people don't accept his testimony, and then he brings up this question: If we cannot understand his teaching on Earth, how will we understand his teachings in heaven? Jesus tells us that we should listen to him because HE is the only one who has gone to heaven and come back down for us, and teach us what he knows. Therefore, we are basically listening to the testimonies and teaching of heaven. He tells us that we have to lift up the Son of Man just like how Moses lifted up the snake in the wild. With all this, if we lift him up high and trust and listen to his sermons, we can believe in him and have that spiritual rebirth. And as we believe in him, we can have eternal life through the spirit.

Prayer Requests
- Really help study with finals this week, since all the teachers seem to be really preasurring us about it. Pray that God can be with all of us who take finals and that we can just score good grades.
- With finals, we got a lot of stress. Pray that God could just keep us calm and collective, and that we can go through finals with ease
- Pray for focus on church and just get along better with family and friends
- Try to be a better example/leader for the younger kids
View user profile

on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm
Matthew 26

V. 10-13: “Aware of this, Jesus said to them, “Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. Truly I tell you, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”
‭‭
Context: This woman came to Jesus with an alabaster jar of expensive perfume and she poured it on Jesus’ feet. The disciples rebuked her for they thought it was such a waste. Then Jesus responds with verses 10-13. Clearly the disciples can’t see how important this was to the lady and she knew the worth of the perfume before she poured it. She knew it was worth it unlike the disciples who called her out on being wasteful. Jesus then kind of rebukes them and asks why they are bothering her for something righteous that she did. He said wherever the gospel is spread, this would be spread with it. And here it is.

Application: Do I know Jesus’ worth? No not really. Would I have poured that expensive perfume on his feet? No, I would save that money because I store my treasures on Earth. I think every year I become more materialistic as I get more involved in Earthly things like social media. It’s bad, but I’m trying to fix it. I want to be like that woman and know the worth and the cost of grace. This also reminds me of the other woman who just randomly showed up in Luke 7:36-50. The one we learned about at retreat on day one. Her perception of sin was so great while the Pharisees’ perception was less, because they believed they were better than most. I think these two stories relate in a way. Those religious people like the Pharisees and the disciples seem as if they are in general better followers of Christ. Sike no it’s those that are seen as lower. But really they’re not. We are all on the same level. All that matters is we should know Jesus’ worth. Clearly I don’t really know that and I’m going to try to work on that by growing my relationship, being more faithful and having a better mindset like these two women.

Prayer requests:
-My fingers are hurting soooo much because of finals week and writing and studying. It sounds funny, but please give me strength in my hand and fingers.
-My small group members to be able to keep their goals in mind
-My devo group because we are all broken and need God’s strength
-Stop worrying so much about my future
-Know God not know about Him

Song:
Remembrance
As long as height reach from the depths
As far as east is from the west
So far your grace has carried me
Until I see you face to face
Until at last I’ve won my race
Remind me your not finished yet

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:20 am
Ephesians 2
This next chapter of Ephesians focuses on two overarching ideas, grace through faith and unity. From the beginning Paul writes about how as humans we are dead in our sin and previously carried the desires of the body and mind, blindly following the wicked spirit of disobedience (verses 1-3). It is crucial that we recognize the extent of our disobedience and betrayal of God. Being born in the nature of sin, we have and will continue to be tempted and eventually broken under the calls of the evil one which separates us further from Christ. With this baseline understanding, we are able to humble ourselves before Him and reject any notion that we are sufficiently righteous for God. Rather, as it states in verse 8, by His neverending grace we are saved through faith; not by our own work but as a gift from God. After having experienced spiritual growth, especially after a retreat, one's relationship with God may seem like a product of their own effort, time, and by their doing. However, this verse reveals to us that it is ultimately God who had graciously provided salvation through faith in Him as a gift that we never and could never deserve, especially through our works. This realization offers the opportunity for us to recognize our faults and how much we fall short of the position we've been provided as children of God. In the second portion of this chapter, Paul is now directly addressing the Ephesians, reminding them that through Christ Jesus and the cross, we are unified and made fellow citizens of the household of God under one body (verses 16, 19). Especially in a church, its unity is dependent on Christ Jesus as its cornerstone, who has provided us with the means of citizenship under the household of God. This means every member in the youth group must have Christ influencing their heart and mind in order for them to unite as a body in His name.

Prayer Requests:
- Humbling myself before God and recognizing my death in sin
- Putting full dependence on Him in terms of my faith, responsibilities, and work. Especially with school work and exams
- I pray that the members of my devo group would come to really grow closer to Him
For me to not be consumed by my guilt or regret for the past but to learn from my faults and pursue a lifestyle that is righteous in God's eyes

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:09 am
Just spent some time reading over people's devos... its super encouraging to see all of us desiring to grow <3

Psalm 2 really demonstrates as people's own selfish intentions will ever come close to altering God's ultimate will/desire. It also includes a prophesy stating that Zion, Jerusalem's hill is where the 'King' will be established.
For the original audience, this may have directed their attention to David, but the king that is Lord of all, is Christ. David received so much opposition in his day, particularly from King Saul and from his own people.

But when Jesus descended to our level and put on human flesh, he was also rejected, mocked, beaten, and scorned. And those rulers and kings who had tried to stop Jesus' divine kingship worked in vain.
-From a perspective that focuses in the now, we must recognize that God is fulfilling His mission and overall plan/purpose. And nothing will ever stop Him from accomplishing it.
It was rather difficult to interpret this passage as it seems to be more relatable to the original audience.

We do have to be reminded that Jesus will be coming back and will judge the world according to His righteousness. And nothing, can ever stop Him from doing so. And we must fear God, not in a spooky sense but through an attitude of reverence and honour in knowing who He is.

A question that came up during today's devo was, "If God is going to accomplish His mission with none able to stop Him, what's our purpose? If we can't objectively contribute to God's promise, how are we included in it?" A response to this question would be that God delights in using us for His glory. And though we don't make God objectively better or worse by our existence, we are called to proclaim His goodness through however years we have on this earth.

A prayer request for me would be for me to become more prayerful through the psalms. I want to be able to pray through the Bible, adopting the vocabulary that comes through it and to realign myself correctly in evaluating myself. Not all of the psalms are celebratory praises, but they are honest and sincere prayers that I also want for myself.
View user profile

on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:53 pm
1/10/19
1 Peter 3

This chapter primarily focuses on the relationship between you and others and about how you must sometimes suffer to do good. The first half talks about how a wife should treat/approach her husband and vice versa and how they should build each other up through their relationship. Their relationship should not distract them from their walk with Christ; instead, they should support each other. Although the first half is important, I found the second half to be more applicable. The second half talks about the familiar concept that we should not respond to evil with evil, but we should respond to evil with blessings. I felt that the second half mainly served as a message of encouragement. It says that although if you do good all the time, there should be no reason to be treated with malice, there will be times where suffering will incur. However, it is written in verse 14, "But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. 'Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened'". I found this really encouraging, as there are many times where I hear the phrase, why do bad things happen to good people? Even though this doesn't really give an answer to this question, I think that this verse specifically is something that keeps me going and will continue to remind me to do good. It almost brings like a sense of relief to know that as long as I do good, I will be blessed. I also found this particular chapter to be really relevant to the youth group, as we often treat good with evil. We don't directly respond with ridicule or offensive behavior, but I feel as though we aren't as appreciative as we should be of each other and the college leaders. I believe that a lack of appreciation/thankfulness is also a response that is evil, and I think that we as a youth group could work on that more.

Prayer Requests:
- finals week is next week, so mental and physical health
- I've been struggling to get back on track with devos, so pray that I could have an open heart to doing them (early on)
- To be more thankful/respond to always respond with good

Song Recommendation:

I really like this entire song, but I think that the verses are particularly impactful. To me, this song serves as a reminder that I have no reason to walk away from Jesus, and that it would be foolish to walk away from something that is such a blessing.
View user profile

Devotional

on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 pm
Colossians 3

Recently I've been putting off a lot things just trying to get myself back into the mind set of going back to school. I've been telling myself that I had to focus truly on school rather than anything else right now, but I realized how much I have been pushing God away from myself throughout all that I was doing. I was just flipping through my bible, and this passage came up. Colossians 3, mainly in verses 1-4, it says, "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." Verse 2 really hits me as it is something that I struggle with everyday. I tend to go towards my worldly desires and hope that the world can be sufficient enough to give me peace and happiness, when in reality it is all God giving me everything that I look forward to on a daily basis. I truly do struggle with this and always will, however, I know that God will get me through the hardest times.
Throughout everything that has happened ever since I got saved, it has been a journey. I've always heard about not going up and down, the roller coaster ride with Christ, but I barely live that out. Even through everything, I know that God has a plan set for me because He has always been there for me and has never left me even through the darkest times that I have been through on this world. He has shown me that nothing is permanent here except for his love and compassion towards a sinner such as myself. He has shown me gratitude even when I fall for worldly things around me because they are actually physical and tangible. Even through that, He has open arms for me because He loves me even through everything that I do on a daily basis even though at times, I want nothing to do with him.
Prayer Request
School is coming up, so if you could pray that I could time manage throughout everything that I do.
To truly put God above everything around me.
View user profile

Psalm 22

on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 pm
Psalm 22

This particular psalm journeys though the life of Jesus right before his death on the cross. The Psalm can be broken down into three sections. The first section (verses 1-Cool is basically Jesus complaining to God about all of his sufferings and hardships. He rants to God about how everyone has mocked and scorned him for believing in the Lord, and he questions why even after all he's gone through he has to pay by dying on the cross. The second section (verses 9-21) is about how even though Jesus had to go through so much suffering he still chose to depend on God. Jesus claimed that he was being "surrounded by dogs and bulls," but he still acknowledged God as his source of strength and deliverance. He said, "You are my strength;come quickly to help me. Deliver me from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs." I think this mentality can really be applied to my everyday life. Seeing how much Jesus trusted in God despite the fact that he was about to die is very encouraging, and it's even a little creepy how much he depended on Him. I realized that no matter how bad my circumstances get, I need to have a heart that has consistent faith in God's plans. Even if it seems as if he wants to punish me and make me suffer for no reason, in reality, God does it because he loves me and he wants me to acknowledge that I need Him in order to overcome. The last section of this psalm is verses 22-31, and in this section Jesus is praising and giving thanks to God. This is also applicable to me because I need to be more thankful for God. It's easy to turn to God when you are going through hardships, but when all is well it is often times hard to realize that it was God that was able to bring joy in my life.

Prayer Requests
-that I can learn from Jesus's attitude while on the cross. He didn't get angry or question God's purpose, but he trusted that this was all part of His plan
-that I can actually be stressed for finals; I need motivation to study hard and do my best
-that our youth group will still be able to grow even though some leaders are stepping down

Song: It is Finished - Passion

Passion came out with a new album about a week ago, so I will be posting songs from this album for the next few posts.

For this song, I love the bridge because it basically sums up my prayer whenever I am struggling with life and doubting my future.

"Strongholds bowing to the Savior
Resurrection power over every circumstance
His word stands final and forever
It will not be shaken, He alone has won it all"
View user profile

Devotional

on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 am
Philippians 2

I decided to do my devotional on a passage where it has stuck to me ever since elementary school. My bible teacher in 5th grade would always tell me this specific one mainly the 14th verse, however, I feel like I relate to a lot of this throughout everything that I do. In verses 14-15, it says, "Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky." Doing everything without having a bad attitude towards it even though it may be tough. It will be a tough challenge to do these things because it may seem like a bothersome towards our regular daily lives. Coming back home means I have to do things around the house, although not big things, it's the little things that make me not want to do anything and just bum out on my bed. However, I feel like God has been challenging me by making my brother tell me to do these things as a constant reminder of how much that He has done for me. By me not arguing and just doing them right away is great and all, but He shouldn't have to tell me anything to do these little things around the house.
I was telling the upper classmen guys about this during retreat, and I realized that I was being hypocritical because I tend to not live this out as well. Even through everything I like to just live that lazy and let everyone else do everything for me because sometimes I just don't feel like doing anything. If I have ever done that to you, then I am sorry about that. I like how it says you will shine among like stars in the sky because who wouldn't want to shine like that. Who wouldn't want to be as radiant as the stars in the sky while still being on this earth to show everyone around us that we are special. We are children of the most high. That we are able to do things many people will constantly complain about on a daily basis.
Prayer Request
- My motivation will be higher because right now, I'm really not motivated to do anything
- My group with Nicolle and Eddy that their finals will go well
- My own faith that it will grow more and more and not stay stale
- Not to be bitter towards God with things happening around me
View user profile

on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 pm
Ecclesiastes 4-5

Chapter 4 went back to the pessimistic thoughts of, those who are dead are luckier than those who are alive. Those who have not been born yet are even luckier for they have not seen the evil of the world. The author also talked about how it is better to have one other person with you than to be alone, which seems to be very obvious. The reasons were that the other could encourage, help, and share enjoyment/happiness with the other. Lastly, it talked about how advancement is also meaningless and how the future generation will, no matter what, will complain about the past generation, and in which trying to better ones’ lives are meaningless.

Moving onto chapter 5, the first section talked about being careful with your words. Verse 2 says, “Do not be quick with your mouth,; do not be hasty with your heart; to utter anything before God.; God is in heaven; and you are on earth,; so let your words be few” (NIV). Solomon goes on with saying if you’ve made a vow with God, fulfill it right away. And if you’re not going to fulfill the promise/vow that you have made, it is better to not make any. The last section talks about how all kinds of riches are meaningless. We were not meant to be satisfied with how much wealth we have or how much we are going to have but to be satisfied with what God has given to us so that we will be “occupied with gladness of heart”  (v.18). For it says, “Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil—this is a gift of God. They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart” (v.17-18).

From those two chapters, I have noticed my heart agreeing with some of the statements that the author had written, especially the one about it is better not being born since all my wants and desires were set on the worldly things. In the past, I have wished that I wasn’t born, or if I could just get killed soon that I wouldn’t have to worry about my future, like looking for a job, working, marrying, making enough money for my family and my parents, living faithfully. If I had died, I would know if I would see Jesus or not. I also have seen ‘not making any promises’ with God in my life since I knew whatever I was going to do, I was going to fail. But I have tasted the better things in life, in God, that I should be enjoying the life that God has given as a gift, just like how chapter 3 mentioned it. I also know that not making a vow, or even talking to God in fear of disappointing God or making Him love me less (which is not possible), is the wrong mentality. From today’s devotional, I have been reminded to appreciate the life I am living, the people I am surrounded with, and to be glad to be living as a child of God.

Song: East to West by Casting Crowns.

“As far as the east is from the west. So far has He removed our transgressions from us” –Psalm 103:12

Prayer Requests:
-To have a heart to enjoy life to the fullest and to be thankful of what I have.
-Student teaching: I will be start teaching some classes and I need to start prioritizing my time. I will be able to branch out and be the best I can and to be helpful, but at the same time, not beat myself for not doing well.
-For students who will have finals next week.
-For college students getting ready to leave and to arrive safely.
View user profile

on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:50 am
Titus 1:10-16 (Rebuking Those Who Fail to Do Good)

Context: 10 For there are many rebellious people, full of meaningless talk and deception, especially those of the circumcision group. 11 They must be silenced, because they are disrupting whole households by teaching things they ought not to teach—and that for the sake of dishonest gain. 12 One of Crete’s own prophets has said it: “Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.”[a] 13 This saying is true. Therefore rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith 14 and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the merely human commands of those who reject the truth. 15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted. 16 They claim to know God, but by their actions they deny him. They are detestable, disobedient and unfit for doing anything good.

Summary and Application:
I know this is not a well-known chapter in the Bible, but I looked at the title and felt the need to do it. Usually, we will end up rebuking those who succeed to do bad, but do we usually rebuke those who do not do good? When I first read this chapter, I was very confused at first. A question came up in my head, “Is there a need to rebuke those who did not sin, but did not do good?” I had no clue that it was a sin not to do good for the benefit of the others. I can apply this to my life because I would always do the bare minimum and try not sin. If I believed that I did not sin for that day, I was satisfied. But little did I know that not doing good things to glorify God’s name was a sin.

Prayer Requests:
- School is starting so please pray that I will not get lazy into doing devos
- Please pray that I will not get sick again
View user profile

Titus 1:10-16

on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:57 am
This passage talks about rebellious people, and how us as Christians should deal with these types of people. Paul writes how these people disturb the household, and how they ruin the atmosphere around everyone, just for their own personal gain. He then says how Crete's own prophets ridicule their own, saying how all the teachers are lazy, liars, and overall not good people. Because these things are true, Paul tells us to rebuke them sharply, and he says that they will be sound in faith. I think Paul here is saying that we have to rebuke those who say a lot of crap towards us or anyone. If we rebuke them, the "sound in faith" part would actually be them reflecting on themselves. We have to rebuke them so they reflect and realize what they're doing wrong. This brings up another question though; how should we rebuke them? I think we should approach them calm and collectively, instead of being rash and hurried. If we take our time with explaining why what they said was wrong, I think they would just be more open to listening and try to resolve them self. I think we should do this if we want to act more Christian towards others. Thinking of it now, this is a lot like the "Just Say It!" Chapter in Leadership Axioms. Same message applies here, if we rebuke them we can let them resolve them self with God and let them become a better person. This last part Paul says is that the pure see the pure things in life, but the wicked only see the wicked parts in life, and embrace it into their personality. With them taking it into their personality, their actions show how they are not for God, even if they claim to be. This is another reason as to why we should be rebuking people for their wrongs, it's like our own little mission. Our mission is to rebuke people so that they can know God and fix their mistakes. By fixing their mistakes, it lets them be more Christ like and just a better person in society

Prayer Requests
- Finals, please. It;s getting really stressful for all of us and just pray that God can give us ease and we can do well on our finals
- Patience, that I can just understand other people's perspective more and not lash out too much
View user profile

on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Everyday, I get a verse emailed to me from KLOVE, and lately I haven’t been opening them. I have some from like November yikes. Today, I don’t really know why but I opened it. The verse was

This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all(1 John 1:5)

I really liked this verse, because lately I feel like God isn’t there. I’ve been having a harder time praying to Him on my own. There are times I doubt His presence or even doubt that He has something planned for me. Even though there’s no darkness in him, people always question then why are these these tragic things happening like shootings. Mines not that extreme, but sometimes it feels like God is not the light in my life. I find different kinds of light in my life like my family and friends, music, Netflix, etc. Maybe there was a reason I felt compelled to open the email today. I’m not so sure, but I think this was a reminder from Him. There are a lot of times when these verses kind of correlate to what I’m feeling and they help me a lot. I hope I can open them more.

Prayer requests
-help me to not doubt His presence and give me a heart of prayer
-help me to not ask for what I want but ask for what I need or ask God what is it that I need in my life
-My devo group to stay strong and patient

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:32 pm
Ecclesiastes 11: 7-10 & 12: 1-8
Remember Your Creator While Young

This passage talks about how in ones life there will be a lot of happiness joy and light, Solomon says to enjoy those and embrace them. But when the time darkness’s comes, and it surely will, he says to remember them do not forget them because everything in the future and your whole life if meaningless anyways. While you are young you should have fun in your youth and to let go once in a while for when you find your light God will come to judge you. He will judge you and you should do everything in your power to overcome them with believing in the Lord. You should get rid of anything negative that will bring you down because he will be there when driving and pushing you through all that. Then in chapter 12 it goes on and starts off with “Remember your Creator in the days of your youth,” it’s saying that as you are growing and when you are a child don’t stop thinking and knowing God is with us. It goes to list thing of things that could happen throughout your life and Solomon says don’t forget God because of them. For all those are yet again all meaningless in the end except for him. This passage is mainly focusing on how in our youth we should not forget the person who put us here. We should not forget we are here for God and only God everything else is nothing compared to him. Through the day we are judged by him we should still stick to him through that and anything else. Then we will know what it means that God is our everything.

Prayer Requests:
My mental state of mind has been very hectic so please for my mental health. Thank you Smile

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 pm
Ephesians 3
This chapter is divided into two sections: the first being an account about Paul’s involvement with the Gentiles and second about Paul’s prayer to God for them. The first half discusses how Paul has been called to reveal God’s value and unending love to the Gentiles who are able to become heirs and members of the body through Christ Jesus (verses 6-Cool. God’s purpose and plan to expand the kingdom of heaven is seen through the calling of apostles such as Paul to reach out to groups of people that were previously excluded. I was reminded of PJ speaking on the subject of evangelism with how as Christians we are called to bring people more towards the kingdom of heaven by helping them realize the extent of God’s power and love. Not only should we act kindly towards the people who are different or “separate” from us, but we should willingly and fully accept them, sharing with them the value of knowing Christ Jesus. Through this, we can allow them to be included in as members of the body, further building on the kingdom of God. The second section speaks about Paul’s prayer that these Ephesians would come to know the love of Christ and that His Spirit would dwell in their hearts, so that by the riches of His glory they would be provided with inner strength and filled with the fullness of God (verses 16-19). A common topic of prayer that Paul prays for these Ephesians seems to be to know God more, which was also seen in the first chapter of Ephesians where Paul prays that they would know the extent of God’s love and greatness. Similarly, Paul prays in this chapter that these Ephesians would know the love of Christ and more specifically the “great riches” or the value of knowing Him. I was reminded of PJ’s sermon on knowing the surpassing value of knowing God, and it was revealed to me that the importance in this can be found in evangelism as well. Paul can do nothing to force the people that he teaches to believe and know the extent of God’s greatness or love, so he prays that they would come to realize this through the Spirit. This is something that is particularly crucial in evangelism because if the person being converted doesn’t recognize how great God and His love is, there would be no motivation to pursue a life following Him. The last part about God providing us with spiritual strength and be filled with Him reveals just how much God has to offer and the true substance he provides for our weak and empty lives.

Prayer Requests:
- To recognize the surpassing value of knowing God in His greatness and love for us.
- For God to provide the youth group and especially the leaders the spiritual strength and fullness to better worship and praise Him.
- Boldness to make initiatives to evangelize and share my testimony with others with faith that God would allow them to become members of the body of Christ
- Full dependence on God even through exams. Still prioritizing Him
- That the members of my devo group would come to really grow closer to Him
- For me to not be consumed by my guilt or regret for the past but to learn from my faults and pursue a lifestyle that is righteous in God's eyes.

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:00 am
Read Radical Chapter 6 and like most of the other chapter in the book, it did not fail to rebuke me and realize how I lived as a Christian. Most of the chapter was about a lot of material possession in our lives and I have found myself struggling a lot more with this now that I started to work a lot more than I used to. With all this money I want to buy shoes, food, and nice stuff but it never crossed my mind to ever think that this money could go to the poor. A lot of the times I always call myself poor but I fail to recognize how much more I have than others around the world and it really made me think of my experiences in Haiti on missions 6 years ago. Reading this chapter was a nightmare because I started to remember some of the faces of the kids that I went to Haiti. Living in tents and drinking water from the sewers was an image that was always in my mind, making mud cakes which were basically dried out mud they eat because there was nothing else to eat. I told myself I would do something to help these people but over the past 6 years I have done nothing. This chapter really made me think, what have i done with my life and what changes can i make to be out there sacrificing my material gains for the poor through the light of God.

Prayer Requests:
-Pretty burnt out, I don't have the same heart and passion to serve anymore and I see myself complaining and getting annoyed by little things but it all starts with my heart.
-Nursing applications
-Ethan and Ashley
-Work has been tough to go to, just prayer for strength
-School starts in like 10 days that God will help and give us strength through a new semester
View user profile

on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 am
Psalm 130:1-6
“(v.1) Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; (v.2) Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. (v.3) If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? (v.4) But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you. (v.5) I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope. (v.6) I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning...”
These verses reminded me to always have faith in God and to put my hope into him and what he says. They also reminded me that when I sin, God will always forgive me and be waiting to cleanse me of all my wrongdoings. But because I know that he will always forgive me no matter what, I should not keep going off of that knowledge and continue sinning. He has put me on this Earth to spread His name and to serve him with a whole heart. When I make mistakes, which is normal for everyone, I should own up to them, learn from them, and change myself to be a better child of God. I learned, from this passage, that with sinning, comes forgiveness, and with forgiveness, comes time. I have to give God time to forgive me and I have to be patient with him for he has been patient with me for so long.

Prayer requests:
- for my brothers Bo and Ethan to put their hope and trust into everything God does and will do
- for everyone taking finals to do well
- for ccyg to grow into a loving and welcoming community
- for myself to be slow to anger and judgement and quick to love

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:42 am
Psalm 130:1-6
“(v.1) Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord; (v.2) Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy. (v.3) If you, Lord, kept a record of sins, Lord, who could stand? (v.4) But with you there is forgiveness, so that we can, with reverence, serve you. (v.5) I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope. (v.6) I wait for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning...”
These verses reminded me to always have faith in God and to put my hope into him and what he says. They also reminded me that when I sin, God will always forgive me and be waiting to cleanse me of all my wrongdoings. But because I know that he will always forgive me no matter what, I should not keep going off of that knowledge and continue sinning. He has put me on this Earth to spread His name and to serve him with a whole heart. When I make mistakes, which is normal for everyone, I should own up to them, learn from them, and change myself to be a better child of God. I learned, from this passage, that with sinning, comes forgiveness, and with forgiveness, comes time. I have to give God time to forgive me and I have to be patient with him for he has been patient with me for so long.

Prayer requests:
- for my brothers Bo and Ethan to put their hope and trust into everything God does and will do
- for everyone taking finals to do well
- for ccyg to grow into a loving and welcoming community
- for myself to be slow to anger and judgement and quick to love

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:44 am
James 1:5-8
“ (v.5) If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. (v.6) But when you ask, you much believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. (v.7) That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. (v.Cool Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.”
I know that God is always there for me, listening and answering my thoughts and prayers, but for some reason I didn’t seem to actually know that. If that makes sense. I doubted him at times and did not trust him. I prayed to him for certain things and he wasn’t answering me quick enough or with the answers I wanted. For example, when my grandpa passed away, I was so angry with God and did not think that he was actually there for a little bit because I felt that he had not listened to my many prayers for my grandpa to beat cancer. I did not see the real picture. I realized that everything happens for a reason and that God does everything with a purpose. My grandpa was suffering and so God took the pain away, which I should be grateful for. God has many different ways of answering my prayers and thoughts. If it has a negative outcome, it is always for a reason. For me to learn something new and make me a better person. He does to us what we deserve. There are still days I doubt his presence, but ultimately I go back to the conclusion that God has thought everything through before doing something. Slowly, I believe and hope that my faith will become so strong, I will never have to doubt God.

Prayer requests:
- for me to stop procrastinating everything in life
- to strive to learn more about God’s words
- for my brothers Ethan and Bo to be strong through all their hardships and to rely on God all the time
- for anyone taking finals to do well
- for ccyg to become a youth group where everyone feels loved and safe
- for euntak to stay safe while he’s away and that he returns safely, healthy and strong

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

Titus 2

on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 am
This passage is about on our actions and how we should be doing good with them for the Gospel. This passage actually touches on something interesting, that we should teach those older than us, teach them discipline and how they should act. It also touches on the fact that we should teach the older ones to teach others, and spread what is good. This is essentially our mission again; to spread the gospel so that they can continue to spread it, and "Make Disciples of all nations". This next chunk of passages I think really applies to us as leaders, and this passage is telling us to teach the young. The book doesn't teach us directly at them however, but teach them by leading by example. We should lead with the right attitude in church and that we should influence others with our attitude. In doing so, we spread that goodness towards the next generation and continue to do good. The next chunk is kind of interesting to me, and its about y teaching slaves to obey their masters. But, it isn't saying teach to slaves to listen to you, but to teach them to listen to you SO that they can be trusted. It says that if they can be fully trusted, then they too spread that goodness of God. The next chunk tells us how we can apply this good to our own lives. God's salvation came towards us, and that allowed us to say no to ungodly things and live a Christ like life with the Fruits of the Spirit. Then finally, the chapter ends with the book telling us to not be afraid when rebuking, and to do it with a good heart so that you can make a better impact and let people know about God.

Prayer Requests
- Finals, that we can really just be focused and not stressed
- Focus on church, that we wouldn't get side tracked
- Health, that we can all stay healthy and be free from stress
View user profile

on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:07 am
Matthew 28 The Great Commission

Summary: After the Sabbath, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary go to the tomb where Jesus lay. There they saw the stone rolled away and an angel said to them, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay.” Then he commanded the women to go tell the disciples. The guards who have witnessed everything told the chief prestes of everything that had happened. They gave them a large sum of money and told them to report that the disciples came during the night and stole Jesus’ body away. The eleven disciples go on to Galilee, and they saw Jesus and worshiped him. He commands them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Application: This is straight out of Radical Chapter 5, or it's more like Chapter 5 talks about this passage. As I mentioned before, Chapter 5 talked about a lot of different topics and this will be a continuation of that. I wanted to go into further detail about making disciples by building relationships. Platt talks about how they consistently started showing in a plaza and sharing the gospel. Eventually, as time passed and they built relationship with the people, they were able to be effective in bring people into the church and making disciples. I think that this is something that we all need to work on, and is something that you can always be improving for the rest of your life. As we talked about evaluating on our Friday night Bible Study, one of the best ways to evangelize is to build relationship. One of the constants of life is that everyone is struggling with something, and one you are there to pick them up and help them, they are going to start questioning you on how you can be so cheerful, or where you learned the answers. That is the perfect moment to point them to the Bible and share your testimony. When you develop personal relationship, it goes from seeming like you are trying to sell them a religion to actually caring about them and telling them the best thing in you life.

Prayer Requests:
Please pray for the Youth group. From the retreat, I learned that our youth group is a lot more broken than I thought we were. People are going to a lot of problems, if you couldn’t tell from the open mic. Furthermore, I pray that we will develop more personal relationship that will surpass their time in youth group.

Song of the Day:
“Sing it again, our God reigns
We lift our praise unto Your name again
All ‘round the world we'll sing
Sing it again, our God reigns
He taught our dead hearts how to beat again
All ‘round the world we'll sing”

View user profile

on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 am
Romans 1 God’s Wrath Against Mankind

Summary: This section talks about how God should have been worshiped however, since we ignored him and worshiped other mortal things, God gave us over to sin. He gave us over to our sinful desires, shameful lusts, and to a depraved mind. The section ends with, “Although they know God's righteous decree that those who a such thing deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.”

Application: This chapter was pretty hard to decipher and take a lesson out of it. But the last verse, which is right above, caught my eye. I feel like since most of us have grown up in the church, we, for the most part, know the right “christian” to every situation. In our head, we always know what to say and how to act. This is like what paul means when he says that they knew of God’s righteous decree. I think that a big problem in our youth group is that we have become complacent and I know that word have been brought up a couple of time in our discussions. Complacent means, “showing smug or uncritical satisfaction with oneself or one's achievements”. In the context of our youth group, we have done a lot of growing the last 4 months. We have started a leadership group and now we post devotionals and encourage each other to take up our cross. However, when we become complacent, or satisfied with that, we begin to plateau. Then when we become complacent with our plateau, we being to start on a downwards spiral. As paul says, we “no only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them”. We need to constantly be improving and not become complacent in our growth. We do this by keeping each other in check and calling fouls when needed.

Prayer Requests:
I think that we don’t call enough fouls on eachother. There has been many times where I have been hesitate to call fouls because I didn’t want to kill the mood or offend anyone. I takes a lot of courage to call fouls but as Hybel says, once we develop a culture where we call fouls, we will be the one that calls fouls on ourselves, even before they happen. So I ask you to pray that God may give you the courage to call fouls on others from a caring and loving heart.  

Song of the Day:
“Hallelujah, praise the One who set me free
Hallelujah, death has lost its grip on me
You have broken every chain
There's salvation in Your name
Jesus Christ, my living hope”

View user profile

on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:10 am
Radical Chapter 6 How Much is Enough

Application: Radical chapter 6 is a pretty long chapter and there are many different topics that can be applied to our lives but I wanted to just over one of them. The chapter is about money and what you should do with it as a Christian. The chapter is very long because there can be many misunderstanding with this especially when it come to something sensitive as money. Platt explains that we are blessed with money and we should enjoy it because it is a gift from God. However just like food, or Chick-fil-a, when we over indulge in something, it does us more harm than good. Just like getting a good night’s rest is great for you, sleeping too much makes you sluggish throughout the day. On page 128 it says, just because we earn a $50,000 salary, doesn’t mean that we need to be living a lifestyle that cost $50,000 dollars. Platt explains that we should be living a modest life and with the surplus, we should be using it to correct the blind spot to modern Christianity, which is poverty. Later in the chapter on page 138, Platt bring up the story of the very rich man coming up to Jesus and asking him what it cost to have eternal life. Jesus tell the rich man to sell everything, give it to the poor and follow him. Jesus exposes a blind spot in his life, and when he turns away, he refuses to see it. In the next paragraph, he says, “I don’t want to be blind to these things in my own life. And I don't want to leave Chris behind.” I really gravitated to these two sentences because I personally had a tough time understanding this. For a while, I struggled with how God was going to fit into my ambitions. However, after reading chapter 3 and 6, I learned the dangers of the American dream and how we should be using our money.

Prayer Requests:
Please pray for me to be reminded to balance my ambitions and God. I feel like since my are so big, it pushes God out of the picture and leaves no time for him. It should be the other way around and God should be my priority.

Song of the Day:
“Oh Lord, change me like only You can
Here with my heart in Your hands
Father I pray make me more like Jesus
This world is dying to know who You are
You've shown us the way to Your heart
So Father I pray make me more like Jesus
Oh Lord, change me like only You can
Here with my heart in Your hands
Father I pray make me more like Jesus
This world is dying to know who You are
You've shown us the way to Your heart
So Father I pray make me more like Jesus
More like Jesus I pray
Make me more like Jesus”

Questions:
What are some blind spots that you have in your personal life?
What are some blind spots in our youth group today?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum