Go down
Admin
View user profilehttp://ccyg.forumotion.com

November 25th to 1st (Recommended Passage: Psalm 136)

on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:54 am
Hey guys a reminder that we'll be starting at 9am on sundays from now on, breakfast will be provided!

Please share at least one devotional on the readings that are provided for that week - this week will consist of Chapter 3 from Radical.

1. Pray. Ask God to reveal Himself onto you through Scripture. Ask God to give you an appetite for his Word (Just like how we always pray before we eat - you are essentially praying before you eat spiritually
2. Read maybe 2-3 times
3. Interpret the passage, see what verses, terms, and key phrases stick out to you.
4. See how you can apply the passage - knowledge is amazing, and to know God is essentially our focus. Even better if you can find ways to apply it.
5. Share your prayer requests. Seriously. Everyone is able to read what you flesh out and we are a Church that will pray on your behalf - also an opportunity for you to pray for others as well.
-You can always share praise songs that has spoken to you as well, maybe throughout your devotional/quiet time.
6. Pray to end off your devo, trust God that He is working through this initiative.

Recommended Passage is Psalm 136.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user profile

Re: November 25th to 1st (Recommended Passage: Psalm 136)

on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:18 pm
Ecclesiastes 3:1-21

Solomon talks about how there is a time for everything. It states multiple examples on how there is. The passage stating this is, “A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.” After this Solomon asks, what do we gain from working? He answers with, you can find nothing better in life if you are not happy and doing good in this life. God is enduring and will endure forever, you cannot add or take away anything to change this, but he does this so that we fear him. Everything you do in this life whether it is good or bad there will always be wickedness in your intention of justice and/or judgement. On Judgement day God will not only choose the righteous into Heaven he will also bring the wickedness. And in time there will always be a place where he will judge all our deeds. Solomon says we are not any different from animals we are mostly alike. He first thinks that we will all go to Heaven and live there with God forever. He says we don’t have anything better than what animals have. Then he states that he actually doesn’t quite know what will happen to humans or animals when the die. He doesn’t know if animals will all just go straight to Hell or if they will go to Heaven, he doesn’t know if humans will go to Hell and never reach Heaven.

Prayer Requests:
Please pray for my spiritual guidance and self confidence to be more connected with God and our Savior.

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:38 am
Galatians 6
Going into this devotional, I had a lot on my mind: reflecting on my past, looking at my current attitude and emotions, and confused about my future. Galatians 6 spoke on a multitude of topics, managing to bring me some peace and clarity. Thank the Lord. In verses 1 through 5, "1Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. 2Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. 5For each will have to bear his own load.", it talks about how we, as brothers and sisters, are to help each other when one of us are struggling with sin. I love and crave this intimacy and level of friendship. It's actually so encouraging that this faith we walk was never meant to be walked alone, but with brothers and sisters struggling through the same afflictions. Verses 3 and 4 also address pride and the deception of it. I realize that pride is something I greatly struggle with, but as Paul says in verse 14, I pray that I might boast only in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. That the world would be crucified to me, as I to the world. Going back to verse 8, I am reminded that why I must not rely on myself is because I simply am not good enough: corrupt. But that by the daily, I sow my seed in God, so that I might reap eternal life. Verses 9 and 10 continue by telling us that with this faith, we must do good with an attitude of thanksgiving, especially towards others with this faith.

Prayer Requests:
That my pride in myself would simply cease to exist, not meaning confidence but that God would humble my wanting for others approvals/praise and that I would work and live for God's glory alone.
That God would help me surround myself with people who will help my me walk my path of faith.
That I might pour my love upon those in our church with greater magnitude in whatever form that might take in.

Thanks be to God.
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:56 am
Today I read Luke chapters 7-9 and something that stood out to me was the story of the woman who was caught doing adultery. Basically what happened was that a group of people brought a woman who committed adultery to Jesus so that he may stone her like it says to do so for women who commit adultery. This was all a plan to test Jesus to see if he would make a mistake so that they might file charges against him too. However, Jesus starts writing stuff on the ground and seems as if he is not really interested and says that if any of you did not commit any sins, you may stone the woman. After saying this, a lot of the people in the group slowly started leaving until there was no one left except for the woman and Jesus. Jesus then says to the woman that she may leave for he will also not condemn her. I feel like this stood out to me because a lot of times I feel like I am too quick to judge others for the sins that they commit when a lot of the times I struggle so much in my own sin. Here I am like the group of people who drag the woman and condemn her for her sins when I am guilty for my own. This really taught me that no matter how much one sins, that we should not judge but to really rebuke in love or forgive the person who sins because int he end all of us are sinners. No matter how small the sin is, it is all the same in God's eyes and I feel like a lot of times as Christians we justify ourselves to be better than others because we do not do the other sins that nonbelievers may commit.

Prayer Requests:
- For my own heart, as I struggle that I would do the right thing and to rely on God through these struggles
- Retreat
- Just for all the kids and leaders that as finals come up they will stay strong
- School, Family, Friends, Relationships, Church, Work
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:02 pm
I continued to reflect on Sunday's passage on Psalm 136.

In all honesty, it was incredibly frustrating to coordinate with the other pastors primarily because of the language/cultural barrier and to have to feel pressured to condense service into one hour is ridiculous.
Although preaching time was only 10 minutes, I was thankful to be reminded that God uses our hearts and not to disregard hard work/effort, but God may work outside of it. More than this, I was comforted to know that God uses each and every work of initiative that we set out for.

Anyways, a greater reflection on this passage will suggest that we each have a history in which God has provided great things over us. From the small things to the big/grand events in which we really feel as if He was there, God is continuously sustaining us. And when we acknowledge those moments in time looking back, will our response be just like the psalmist? Will be be able to reiterate that His steadfast love endures forever?
-These next few weeks will be incredibly hard on me, just the amount of work I need to output in such a short amount of time means that sleep will be lacking and I won't be able to concentrate my efforts on things elsewhere from schoolwork/retreat prep. I know without a doubt that God is sustaining me and maturing me throughout this process, that each and every effort does not go wasted. More than this, I know that I can trust that the result is from God as well.

I look back to the time where I spent lots of all-nighters back in Toronto, breaking into the lecture rooms on campus in order to study with my friends. It was a time that was excruciating on my body, but I knew that it wasn't psychology that I wanted to pursue but it was theology in grad school. And I knew that I had to get a BA to get there. Fast forward, I get the crazy privilege of pastoring you guys, being a pastor for the first time and I get to study from the wisest professors of theology in the entire world. It's crazy as to how God works sometimes... God's steadfast love endures forever.
-I look back to the time where I was addicted to video games in high school and God broke me in order that I could serve/honour Him. God's steadfast love endures forever.
-My mom's surgery for her thyroid went well today. God's steadfast love endures forever.
-A few of our youth students got baptized/confirmed this sunday, and they publicly declared their faith to the church. God's steadfast love endures forever.

Now I'm sitting at a starbucks with a pile of work to do. But God, outside of the scope and measure of time, has already set things in motion. Though it hurts and though sleep will have to wait, I know that there will be more amazing things to come from our amazing God.... His steadfast love endures forever.

Please pray for my health and my heart that goes into doing work. I want to cheerfully offer my time for my studies as a sacrifice that's pleasing to God, not just something that I have to do. I want to have a better attitude/posture in studying, not to just perform well and attain good grades - but to dedicate each and every moment to God's kingdom and glory.
View user profile

on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:58 pm
Luke 10:25-37
Parable of the Good Samaritan

In this passage, an expert on the law approaches Jesus and asks him how he can have eternal life. The law expert already knows the he should love God with all his heart and love his neighbors as himself, but he doesn't know who the neighbors represents. So Jesus shows him the kind of love a person should display through a parable. In the parable, there is a man who is walking along a path on his way to Jerusalem. However while he is walking he is attacked by a group of robbers and is beat up badly, leaving him half-dead. While the man is suffering on the ground, a priest come near him, but he just casually walks past him without helping. After the priest comes a Levite, and he too walks past the man without helping. However when a Samaritan walks past the man, he goes out of his way to assist him by bandaging his wounds and providing him with shelter. The fact that a Samaritan helped out a Jew shows how great our love for our neighbors should be. The Samaritans were known to have a terrible relationship with the Jews, but the Samaritan in this parable was still willing to offer assistance to the Jew. Jesus is implying that even though you may have enemies in your life, when you see someone in need you help that person right away. We can't be like the priest who knows that he should love others but doesn't act like it. We also can't be like the Levite who follows the bad examples of others. We need to be willing to get out of our comfort zone and love those who we usually don't love, or else we won't be able to truly live out Jesus's greatest commandment.

Prayer Requests:
-pray that I can truly live out my identity as a Christian even when it's uncomfortable
-pray that I can learn to despise my sinful actions instead of just continuing to do them

View user profile

on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:01 am
11/28/18
Radical Chapter 3

The encompassing main idea of this chapter is that we should not rely on our self-sufficiency, but we should rely on God and trust in his plan for us through our struggles and prayers. A large portion of the chapter focuses on tying this idea back to the concept of the American Dream. The American Dream is built upon self-sufficiency; WE reap what WE sow. It doesn't rely on any outside influences, but only on the hard work of yourself. This is the complete opposite of what we should be doing in our spiritual and daily lives. We should be relying on God to give us the power, wisdom, strength, etc. to get us through our lives. We should trust that he is always there for us and know that while hard work is commended, the power of God is what truly drives our success. We should continue to work hard, but we need to understand that God is the main factor of our lives. A specific portion that I liked was when Platt talked about the power of God through the chapters of Acts. They were works that could never have happened through hard work alone, and it exemplifies the idea that we really need God at the center of our lives to do anything and everything. Specifically, I liked how he addressed the word choice of "added" in verse 47. It wasn't the person who added them; it was God.
Another portion I found interesting is when he mentions Luke 11. It says, "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!". It comes as common sense that if a father loves their son, then they will certainly care for them and give them what they desire. This is a smaller version of what prayer is. If our fathers who are sinful are willing to care for us, then it's unimaginable how much God cares for us. He gives us the Holy Spirit, which is the full source of what we ask for. I thought this was an important distinction to make, as many times when I pray, I think I expect the actual thing and not the source. For example, if I pray for comfort, then I would be given the Holy Spirit who will give me the strength and comfort I need to endure. God won't necessarily take away the pain because he is ultimately glorified through our struggles. It's hard to accept, but I think that it's an important distinction to make. This entire chapter was a big rebuke on my personality, as I'm someone who feels that I need to achieve things through hard work. It's not like I don't believe God is there for me, but it's more like an "addition", in a sense. This is similar to how many churches operate today. I need to understand that God is the center of everything, and that all of our struggles are to glorify him.

Prayer Requests:
- Pray for God to send the Holy Spirit and not for more worldly things
- Slow to anger and try to understand others' views
- Be more thankful for those around me and not take anyone for granted
View user profile

on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 am
Today I read John chapters 10-12 and something that stuck out to me was from John chapter 12:3-8 which says, "Mary therefore took a pound of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (he who was about to betray him), said, “Why was this ointment not sold for three hundred denarii and given to the poor?” He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put into it. Jesus said, “Leave her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of my burial. For the poor you always have with you, but you do not always have me.” I just found this really blessing due to how willing Mary served Jesus at the time he was with them. From an earlier passage she would listen to her word and now she would use such an expensive ointment for Jesus' feet. I think it really shows an example of how much we should love God and just love our brothers and sisters.

Prayer requests:
Retreat- we could really use prayer as it comes up that we can stay spiritually strong and stay bonded, that no problems within the leaders will rise up to affect our intentions and the way we serve, for the kid's hearts that even though they don't wanna come, God will move them to just change how they feel about the retreat
Finals- Have to learn all the muscles and nerves of the body by next week
Church, Retreat, Relationships, Friends, Family, Work
View user profile

Matthew 13:47-52

on Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:23 pm
This passage is about the parable of drawing in the fish net. This passage begins with a group of fishermen fishing out at sea and hauling back a whole net of fish. As the net was brought back in, the fishermen nitpicked the best looking ones and kept them, while at the same time threw away the bad ones. Jesus then explains how we are the fish, and that the fishermen is Jesus and God. We have to be on our best behavior and be spiritually filled if we want to be included into the basket of fish, or the kingdom of heaven. What kind of confused me here was that why was Jesus telling us that the fish in the basket are good, when they would die and the fish back in sea would still live? I kind of answered my own question. which is that Jesus tells us that we would have everlasting life if we believed he was our savior, and that everlasting life is beyond death. If we are the good fish being put into the basket to die, then we would move on from death and go up to the kingdom of heaven. At the same time, if we were bad, we would be thrown back into the ocean (world), filled with temptation and sin, meaning it is basically hell.Jesus tells us that we have to maintain our faith in God if we want to be accepted into the kingdom of heaven, and not be thrown back out or destroyed. Jesus tells us that one day, God himself will come down to the Earth to judge us, and we want to be like the good fish so that we can enter the kingdom of heaven on our judgment day.

Prayer Requests
- Just stress and school work, just try to be more efficient as always and not be easily distracted
- Church, that we can just stay healthy and be spiritually full
- Thanksgiving kind of. With Thanksgiving coming, I didn't really notice how unthankful I am of those around me, especially at church. I just want to pray that I can show just alot more appreciation towards the older people in our youth group for what they do for us.
View user profile

on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 am
Matthew 1 - Faith in the Word

For my devotional I just finished the book of Romans so decided to start the book of Matthew for my daily devotionals. The past week has been a huge struggle for me to keep up with my daily devotionals, I feel really drained and I had no motivation to read or journal. I think times like this is when we’re being tested by saint, questioning is spending my time doing these devotionals worth it even when you don’t see results right away? Through this doubt we start to hesitate our faith in God and the knowledge we learn from the word during our devotionals. Even though I’m serving as a youth group leader and as worship team leader I definitely question if theses devotionals are worth my time. In Matthew chapter one Joseph questions God if the baby his wife Mary had was actually his or if she is actually a virgin. Being told that this child will lead and teach the world about the love of God. This would definitely shock anyone and no one would blame Joseph if he left Mary because of this crazy incident. But because the faith Joseph had in God was so great he decided to raise Jesus Christ as his son, even though he wasn’t a hundred percent sure of how the outcome would turn out. Matthew 1:20-25 “But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins. ”All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet: “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us). When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.” Through the dry tough seasons we need to stay strong in faith and not let sin overcome us with temptations. Yes, we won’t see result right away but God always has a plan for us even when the path seems rocky. As followers of Christ, as leaders of CCYG we need to push through this rocky path to reach the clear paved road God has set out for us. Being called to serve is an amazing opportunity, but to be able to serve others we need feed ourselves first.

Prayer Requests

- Winter Retreat
Please pray for all of leaders who took time out of their lives to serve, pray for Pastor James as he leads us through the scripture of God, for the kids and yourselves to be willing to learn and open up

- My Health
I’ve started rehab for my achilles again and its been pretty hard both mentally and physically. To be honest there’s a part of me that thinks my ankle will never be healed also I don’t think my body and mind can go through the pain all over again. If you can guys can pray for me to build confidence in myself to not give up.

This not a prayer request I just want to tell you guys I love you all and I’m really proud of you guys <3

Songs of the Day

- Tear Down The Walls
By Hillsong United

- Where The Love Last Forever
By Hillsong United

- Came To My Rescue
By Hillsong United
View user profile

on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:18 am
Chapter Three: Beginning at the End of Ourselves

I feel as if this chapter really addresses our youth group, or at least to the extent that it provides the guidance and direction in which we ought to go. David Platt mentions the American Dream and that it opposes the Gospel. Understanding the fact that we can make life to what we want it to become is simply a lie when it comes to understanding God and the Gospel. Referencing John 15, in that Christ is the vine while we are the branches in that apart from Him we can do nothing, "God confronts us with our utter inability to accomplish anything of value apart from him."
-"The dangerous assumption we unknowingly accept in the American dream is that our greatest asset is our own ability."
-"As long as we achieve our desires in our own power, we will always attribute it to our own glory."
-"While the goal of the American dream is to make much of us, the goal of the Gospel is to make much of God."

We have spent a great deal of our time and heart addressing the social culture of our youth group - the horizontal relationships amongst ourselves. But we need to start concerning ourselves with our understanding of God more, in our vertical relationship in knowing how we ought to now live our lives immersed in our utter hopelessness in God.
There is no formula for success, there is no methodology in which we can strive after so that we can have greater faith in Him. But to come to God in our weakness and humility (true sense of who we actually are), and to ask to be empowered is the best thing that we can ask for.

Our prayers in relying on God's power is not a cherry on top. It is not the final tip of the iceberg, rather it is the bedrock and our foundation for all that we can possibly do. We have to re-evaluate and come to an understanding that we are often times conceptualizing prayer to be the last item in the formula of success. God is the first, the last, and everything in between. He is the sole independent variable when it comes to our faith flourishing, our lives being empowered, and for His glory.

A question I reflected on was this, "Think about it. Would you say that your life is marked right now by desperation for the Spirit of God? Would you say that the church you are a part of is characterized by this sense of desperation?"
-I think our faith flourishes at retreats because we set the tone in which we are desperate for God. Where He becomes our priority, and we turn away from the world and retreat back to Him. We need more retreats in our lives, and I think that without retreating daily, we will become an incredibly complacent people of God. We will become a people that trusts in their own resources, a people that relies on their own gifts, skills, and talents. We then, in turn, start giving glory to ourselves - and then we become our own gods.

Please pray we will better examine our hearts more accurately. We need a heart check not only asking how we're doing, but asking ourselves to who or what do we trust in?
View user profile

on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 pm
12/1/18
Romans 12

This chapter was a section that spoke mainly about how to apply what was discussed in the last few chapters in a practical manner. I thought that this was a chapter that many of the leaders should at least read through once or twice because it really exemplifies what we should be doing as good Christians and shows a true example of what we should be doing in the church.
Verse 1 of this chapter says, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God -- this is your true and proper worship". This verse connected to a lot of conversations that I've been having recently with the leaders, such as Daniel and during our confirmation classes. We should devote our lives to God and delight in him forever; that is our calling as a Christian. In doing this, we should also support others within the youth group, but we should not think of ourselves higher than others. The next section talks about how each part of the body has a different function and one part cannot do the job of another. A verse I thought was important to this group of people specifically was verses 7-8. They say, "If it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully". Although we separate into two different groups, I think all of these parts should be ones that we hold in our hearts while we serve the youth group. I know that I have to work on serving with a good mentality always and that I should listen to others' ideas more often. I need to stop thinking of myself as an individual unit that can be moved, but as one that fits into one team that moves together.
The next section was one that everyone knows about, but I think is one of the most important. It talks about how we should love our enemies and that we should always seek to respond to their evil actions with good. This section is probably the hardest part for me to do. As someone who stays angry for an extended amount of time and is very passive aggressive, this is something that I struggle with. Of course though, it's not like everything that God calls us to do is easy, so we as leaders should step up and do our best to do what is hard to do for everyone in order to spread God's love and grace.

Prayer Requests:
- love my enemies and respond to their evil with good
- slow to anger and deal with situations with a clear mind
- get my priorities in life straight
View user profile

Romans 3:9-20

on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:56 pm
This passage talks about our righteousness compared to God's. The simple answer for that is that well, we have no righteousness compared to God's. Paul declares that all Jews and Gentiles alike are all under the power of sin. He's saying that even God's chosen people are under sin, and that they are no where near close to being righteous with God. The next few verses are of Paul having a huge smack down on the whole topic of if we are righteous like God. The first two verses tell us that there is no one in the world who truly understands God, and how there is no one who seeks God. I interpreted this as there is no one who wishes to know how God truly works, and if we can't find that out we can't figure out how to be righteous like him. Then Paul talks some reality. He tells us that everyone has turned away, and everyone is worthless. I interpreted this as that we should be worthless to God, how we sin and always at some point in our lives turn from God. If we do turn away, then we become worthless to him, or we should be. The next few verses tell us that those who are under sin practice deceit, and how our lips are filled with the poison from vipers. I perceived this as Paul telling us that how we speak towards God is very, well bad. I don't know how to truly explain this, but I think it saying that what we say towards others and God shows how we have no respect towards others, or even no fear towards God. The next few verses talk about how us humans ruin a lot of God's Earth, with wars and not really establishing peace towards anyone. But then the verse goes that we act as if we don't fear God at all. This really scared me. Paul is saying that how we act somewhat shows that we have no fear against God, and that if we did have fear against him then we would be acting a lot better then how we are now. Paul ends this passage with saying these terrible things, these are what the law says we do, just indirectly. Paul goes to say that whoever is under the law, we should be silenced and accountable towards God, and how he would judge us. Then Paul goes to say that if we are all under the law, no one in the world can say that they are as righteous and God, and that in fact the law is the conscious of our sin. Paul is telling us that we have to be careful in how we act towards others. We need to get rid of this law in our lives to be more righteous in our daily actions.

Prayer Requests
- Just try to stay on task, focus and be efficient
- Try to keep others accountable for devo's and just other things
- Learn to just try and let go, I've had a grudge on one of my friends for a while and realizing it now its super stupid, I just want God to help me get rid of theses feelings and try to be more forgiving.
View user profile

on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:54 pm
Leadership Axioms Chapter - 65 Lead with all Diligence

The position as “leader” holds a lot of meaning other than just to guide people to a certain direction. The position as leader means guidance, warmth, safety, security, and the list can go on and on. A youth group leaders we need to be the rock and stepping stone for the kids who cannot do it on their own or need help getting there. We need to lead with diligence, if that means we need to get out of our comfort zones that’s what we have to do. The difficult part about being a leader is that you need to do what’s best for the people who you’re guiding even if that means you sacrifice your own comfort. Like in the Leadership Axioms chapter 65 says “whenever you see something going well, whenever light begins to chase back the darkness that threatens to engulf our world, look closely. There stands a leader who is holding that candle.” We need to be that leader who stands there holding that candle for this youth group because without leaders we will fall and we will break. We need to be the voice to the ones who are scared or shy to speak what they want to say, too nurture to those emotions and help build confidence to the one who are sacred. As the leaders one big thing that makes or breaks your leadership is your credibility and consistence. The greatest way to build credibility is to lead by example because in this situation your actions will speak louder than your words. Words will only fill thoughts or potential majority of the time, but actions will show results and accountability in getting things done. I know I always say this but to serve others you need to feed yourself first.

Prayer requests

- Winter Retreat

- My Heath to get some what healthy

- As leaders we wouldn’t be scared to take charge of this youth group

Song of the Day

- Give Thanks
View user profile

on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:55 pm
Leadership Axioms Chapter 22 - Never Say Someone’s No for Them

I think as leaders a lot of us ask this question to ourselves - am I worthy enough or capable enough to serve as a youth group leader?
A lot of us even the college leaders at times doubt our abilities serving in CCYG, will I be enough to help grow this youth ministry? To answer these questions, to be honest no one should feel ready to serve. I say this because if you’re comfortable in your serving position are you really serving to the best of your ability? Or are you doing the minimum to meet the standard of your position? Yes, there will be people who are better to serve on worship team and people who will be better on leadership. This is all based on the gifts God has given us to help grow his ministry and to share his love for us. You don’t need to be the best at what you do to be a great leader, but to be great leader to need to have the heart to serve. Yes, your talent will go a long way in growing ministry but your heart will be the reason you don’t break when things don’t go your way or if things start to fail. God has called everyone in our leadership at CCYG for a reason, to help grow this ministry to build a place where kids can be valuable and feel loved. So in moments when you doubt or question if you’re the right leader to lead, don’t turn to negatively on yourself but turn to God. God know we’ll fail because if he didn’t want us too, we be made perfect. God doesn’t just want capable leaders he wants leaders who are willing to grow and not give up to have faith in him though thick and thin.

Prayer Requests

- Winter Retreat
Please pray for all of leaders who took time out of their lives to serve, pray for Pastor James as he leads us through the scripture of God, for the kids and yourselves to be willing to learn and open up

- My Health
I’ve started rehab for my achilles again and its been pretty hard both mentally and physically. To be honest there’s a part of me that thinks my ankle will never be healed also I don’t think my body and mind can go through the pain all over again. If you can guys can pray for me to build confidence in myself to not give up.
View user profile

on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:24 pm
Radicals Chapter 3

The first section of the chapter had me really shaken. We do not need strength in order to give our love to God. We do not need to fight and seek revenge in order to find the one and only Holy Spirit. We new to believe and remember that Hod is with us, that we do not need to have revenge or have hateful thoughts in order to find peace because in the end God is our peace. It was truly a miracle directly from the hands of God when the man sat there and trusted God to help him conquer victory without violence. It taught us that we do not need to use violence in order to win. And that is why we should put all our trust in God. It then talks about this American dream. It is being whatever you want, as long as they have trust in themselves. Unless you are not in the gospel of God. We shall put our whole trust in him and leave no trust in ourselves. We cannot do anything without him, we are useless if we do not have him. It says “I am the vine; you are the branches.” We can not make ourselves something if we don’t have him. We are nothing with out him. The American dream in the gospel is doing everything for God, if we don’t then we are following the American dream without the gospel in which we don’t do anything for the Lord. He gives us the toughest challenges in life so that we seek him for help. He shows this when during the war that Joshua was stuck in he asks in indirect words for him to trust him with his whole heart. And he does, and when God gives the orders to Joshua he does not hesitate to do them. And as God always does he follows through with his promises. When you talk about what a church needs you do not say like money and resources. You need to have trust and belief in God. You do not need luxury in order to be given the luxury of God. You must be sure that you love him and you will never doubt his actions.

Prayer Requests
Please pray for my spiritual guidance as I walk with Christ through the pain and to the end the walk as I join him in Heaven

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

Psalm 23

on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:50 pm
for this final devo of the week, I wanted to do a devo on my favorite passage from the Bible. Psalm 23 personally has had a tradition in our family, with our grandmother teaching it to me in Korean, and then my sister helping me learn it in English. Anyway, Psalm 23 starts with how the Lord is "my shepherd, I shall not be in want". Here it is telling us that Jesus is our shepherd and we are his sheep, meaning he watches over us and tends to us. The next verses goes "he makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul". Here, with the same sheep analogy, Jesus leads us, the sheep to green pastures and waters. I interpret this as Jesus provides for us; being his sheep, he provides us with our spiritual food (the green pastures) and he quenches our spiritual thirst with the quiet waters. The next few verses go "Even if I walk through the valley of shadow and death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me". Again, here it is saying that Jesus is not only our provider, he is our protector. He protects us from sin and death itself. So, if we have that type of protection, what do we have to fear? Thats where the next verse says how his rod and staff comfort us. Again, with all these protections we should feel at ease with Jesus being our shepherd, tending to us being the sheep. The next chunk goes "You prepare a table before my enemies, You anoint me head with oil, my cup overflows". Again, with Jesus being a provider and protector, he also becomes our solution to any conflicts. Jesus helps us repair bonds with others. He prepares a table for both us and our enemies, and how he set it up so that we can learn to forgive. The next chunk goes "Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever". This last part is saying that Jesus imprints on us, and how his goodness and love will follow us so that we can even exempt that same behavior towards others. Then of course the last part is about how with all these things, we can stay in Heaven and his church forever.

Prayer Requests
- Retreat coming up, praying that no one would get sick or not have fun from the retreat.
- That I can be more responsible: waking up for our morning devos
- Just relieve our stress on school, and any pressure on us

View user profile

on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:05 am
I read Radical chapter 3 today and it really seemed more like an inspiring chapter to me than others. One part that stood out to me was the story of when the pastors were going around Indonesia and one of the students aiming to be pastor got to a village that has never heard of Jesus but had something called a witch doctor. A lot of these witch doctors had villages under their control due to their magic and the curses that they can bring to these villages. When he got there, the witch doctor of that village challenged him to a fight but the student just sat down on a chair and said that Jesus will fight his fights. Immediately after saying that the witch doctor started coughing and gasping for air until he fell over, dead. I thought this was inspiring because it really showed how strong the name of Jesus is today. A lot of me believed that using the name only really worked back then when many of his miracles were done through his name but it really shows that God is still very well with us in a day and age where there is so much doubt in faith. Another encouraging part of this chapter was a certain quote that he said, "The church I lead could have the least gifted people, the lest talented people, the fewest leaders, and the least money and this church under the power of the Holy Spirit could still shake the nations for his glory."I thought this was very blessing because there are too many technicalities and so little faith in prayer. I feel like a lot of the times we fail to pray for things we should pray about but instead use that time to find ways to do it ourselves with God's help. This story and quote really reminds me that with God we can literally do anything but without him we are nothing.

Prayer Requests:
Retreat, Finals, Family, Friends, Relationships, Church, Work
View user profile

on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:08 am
12/1/18
Romans 13

This chapter continues to talk about how to apply the teachings of the previous chapters to our lives. It specifically addresses our submission to authority and how we should treat one another. The first major section of this chapter talks about how we should submit ourselves to authority and obey them because they are appointed by God for a reason. There is a reason for all of their actions, and we should pursue the good actions in our lives. He says in verse 5, "Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience". We should do good not only to be commended, but also because it is the morally correct thing to do. The next section talks about how we should love our neighbors. This was the most similar to the last chapter, as it talks about how we should love one another no matter what. He says in verses 9 and 10, "Whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no harm to a neighbor, Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law". The commandment "love your neighbor as yourself' is something that we have heard as Sunday Schoolers and even as we continued into Youth Group. However, I think that I never really thought of it as a sum up of every other command. If we truly love God, then we should also love others in the same way. I need to be more conscious of loving people no matter what they do. The final section is a sum up of both chapters. It talks about how we need to put aside the darkness of the world and put on the armor of light because the day of our salvation is near. We should reject the ways of the world and strive to do everything that was discussed in the past chapters.

Prayer Requests:
- To show love to others no matter what
- To be more conscious of my actions
- To seek God in everything I do, not only when I want to
- For my physical health.. there are a lot of symptoms of stress and fatigue

Song: When the Fight Calls
I really liked this entire song, but the bridge specifically spoke to me. It reminded me that God was there always there in control of everything and that I shouldn't be afraid of the trials in my life. I should always turn to him in everything and have hope in him because he is my Savior; he is my Lord.
View user profile

Mark 2-4

on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:15 am
12/01/2018 Mark 2:17
For the sinners, not the righteous

In Mark chapter 2, it states in verse 17, "On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Just as doctors don't heal the healthy and how mechanics don't fix a brand new car, Jesus has not come for the righteous but for the sinners. So, when the Pharisees are disgusted on how Jesus eats and talks with sinners, Jesus shows that he is here to save. Moments like these shows us how God is truly good. Jesus always tries to help the people in need and, in return, gives me courage to help those in need. I just pray that I may be like Jesus, always helping and comforting those in need.

12/01/2018 Mark 2:27
Resting in the Lord

“The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.”

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about rest, and what it means to have good rest in the midst of a nonstop busy schedule. This passage was a reminder that rest is something holy that God designed for us because he knows what we need in order to thrive and serve him better. Moreover, our rest should not have just a secular focus: physical and mental. Instead, the passage says that “the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath,” implying that the focus of our rest should be Jesus himself. Applications: one of my favorite forms of rest is using social media laying down on my bed. During this time, instead of scrolling through Instagram and Espn, I can be spending it with a conversation with God through prayer, which will help me rest spiritually.

12/01/2018 Mark 3:12
Spiritual Impact

In Mark 3, we see masses of people forming around Jesus and following him. However, whenever Jesus finished a miracle, he peculiarly "gave them strict orders not to tell others about him" (3:12). I think this verse gave me the impression that it's not necessarily the moment of the miracle that matters; Jesus is really going for lifelong changes in our souls. I think one reason he didn't want news of his miracles to spread is because people might focus on the awe factor of his physical works, and not the eternal factor of his spiritual impact. Whenever I witness God working in me or around me, I tend to get caught up in the moment and then lose it afterwards. Instead, I hope I can treasure and maintain the spiritual transformation he is facilitating.

12/01/2018 Mark 4
Spiritually Immature

Jesus asks his disciples, "Don’t you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable?" This rebuke was pretty savage to be honest. Jesus is being brutally honest about how spiritually immature the disciples are and iterates that at this rate, they will understand very little of God's messages. I took this as a rebuke for myself as well as a challenge to be more well-equipped as a growing Christian. I need to seek more wisdom and experience in order to discern God's will. These days I'm hoping that God will reveal his plans for me in terms of academics and my future, but Jesus is reminding me that I'm not necessarily in a position to simply understand whatever God is trying to tell me.

12/01/2018 Mark 4:3-8
Relationship with God

In Mark chapter 4, a great chapter, it states in verse 3-8, "“Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, some multiplying thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times.”

In these verses, although we have heard them many times, they have so much meaning. There are people who listens to the Gospel, but does not believe. There are also the people who did believe in God, but when trouble came, they fell away because they had no relationship with God. There are people who believed in God, but the worldly temptations choked the life out of them that they spiritually died to their own desires. However, there are the believers who believed in God, built a relationship with God, and controlled their worldly desires in order to spread the Gospel, saving thousands of lives. I pray that we may all be like the seeds that fell on the good soil, and I believe that, although it will be hard, we will overcome our hardships in order to do the will of God. It will be hard, but we will overcome our hardships to do the will of God. Through this we will be most satisfied in God and will be living a life that enjoys him forevermore.

Prayer Requests:
Prayer that I would stay on task for school and that I would be more responsible.
Prayer that I would keep calm and not get angry over the things that hurt me.
Prayer that I would be more socialable and loving towards my parents.
Prayer that I would love God more than anything in this world; that he is everything I have and that he is before everything else.

Song Recommendation: Here Again by Elevation Worship

"As I walk now through the valley
Let your love rise above every fear
Like the sun shaping the shadow
In my weakness your glory appears"

View user profile

Chapter Three: Beginning at the End of Ourselves

on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 am
David Platt talks about one of his experiences in Indonesia where he met a man named Raden. Raden’s story of sharing the Gospel shows us how powerful the name of Jesus. David Platt talks about trust and asks us if we trust in God’s power. This made me question myself if I haven’t been trusting God fully with everything. Am I really trusting God with everything in my life; for example, my academics, college, and my personal life. Do I trust that God is working through me and changing me? It is hard to fully depend on someone with your life, but I need to be desperate for God and depend on him with my life for only what he can provide for me. There is the American Dream where people believe that it is through only their greatest assets that they are able to achieve. However, in reality, we are only able to achieve through God because we can’t complete anything of value without him. We are the branches and he is the vine, and without him, we cannot bear fruit. Also, whenever we achieve something of our desires by ourselves, we take all the glory for ourselves. The Gospel and the American Dream are opposites as the Gospel is for the glory of God, while the American Dream is for the glory of ourselves. God likes it when we are using our weaknesses. Through our weaknesses, God shows us his ability to provide everything that we need. God puts us in positions where we are uncomfortable and desperate for his power, but God uses those moments to show his greatness and that he may be glorified. I pray that I will put my all my trust in God and that I would be desperate for him. I pray that I would be desperate for the holy spirit to dwell in me. I pray that we will trust in God that he will do great things in us. I pray that we will be desperate for the holy spirit to dwell at our church that it will be changing our hearts and our attitudes.

Prayer Request:
Prayer that I would depend on God with all I have and that I would be desperate for him more.

Song Recommendations: Surrounded (Fight My Battles) by Michael W. Smith

Very Simple Song that is blessing

View user profile

on Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:26 am
Radicals chapter 3:

This chapter really opened my eyes and made me realize how much we need to depend on God through everything and trust in him. David Platt makes me think about a lot of things in this chapter, starting with the question of “whether we trust in his power”. We rely too much on ourselves and not enough on him. We think that we have to the power to fix things ourselves when in reality, we cannot do anything without God’s help. We need to be hungry for “the power that only God can provide”. I think this really relates to me because I personally feel that I have to do things on my own if I want to see something done, but now, I still think that it is great to accomplish things on your own, but it doesn’t hurt to have someone by you. Platt says that “God’s power is at best an add-on to our strategies”. God is supporting you and strengthening you every step of the way.
Trusting in God and his power will ultimately provide us with an understanding of just how powerful he is and how he will provide us with an unlimited amount of resources to spread his name.
George Muller. A believer of Christ. He gave up his life trusting in God and nothing else, with the mindset that God will always provide for him/ his people. Which God did indeed do. He protected. Muller started an orphanage, not because he necessarily wanted to care for kids, but instead because he wanted to strengthen the faith of the kids, God’s children.
When we ask for things, whether it be through prayer or our actions, God provides us with the Holy Spirit. “The Holy Spirit is the Comforter, the Helper, the Guide, the very presence of God living in you.” God gives us a lot more than what we ask for. So, we have to believe in him and trust that with him, anything is possible and without him, we are nothing.

Prayer topics:
- For me to always have trust in God no matter what
- For me to have a better mindset on life, school, church and just basically everything else
- To love everyone

Sent from Topic'it App
View user profile

on Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:40 am
12/02/2018
Radical by David Platt
Chapter 3: Beginning at the End of Ourselves
To be completely frank, I just read almost all three chapters in one sitting and I already am falling in love this book. I extol Platt's work not in the same way I admire the bible or sermons, but I value and adore its approach and insights that help me, as a maturing Christian, to reconfigure my mindset and piece together how I want to go about my future.
The chapter begins with an account of Raden, an Indonesian seminary student, evangelizing to a witch infested community. Raden, however, is a well versed "assassin", if you will, and learns to let God fight for him instead. The result: within minutes the doctor was dead. This to me immediately struck two thoughts into my head. One being, a reminder that God is, indeed, an omnipotent being who should be feared. And two being, a mental note that when you give things up to God, he blesses you and does it in a manner that is far superior to my ways. Platt goes onto juxtaposing the American Dream to the Gospel revealing how these two, in fact, are antitheses. The American Dream stresses work and accomplishments through our abilities, thereby resulting in the attribution of our effort or our talent, while the gospel preaches the exact opposite: anything we do is because of God and therefore should be for God. Throughout the Bible, God in his ingenuity orchestrates events to occur in such a way for us to undeniably give God all the credit. He does this knowing our egocentric nature and love for ourselves. And thanks God that he breaks us down when we reach such a state. Lastly, Platt elaborates on the importance and disposition of the Holy Spirit. God specifically sent the Holy Spirit to us in order to serve as an aid and guide during our time on Earth. And many times, although we fail to notice this, when we request and pray to God, he works through the Holy Spirit to accomplish his purpose. This chapter helped me to realize that my life in recent years has been filled with boasts and reliance on my own flesh instead of relying on and trusting in Him. And this is my prayer: that I would wholly depend on God's power remembering that I am nothing, that God has everything to do with what I have done and am able to do, and that his worth is incomparable to anything else on this Earth.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum